boost issue (chipped?)

Scotty595

Reaction score
Hey all,

So finally got a boost gauge installed so I could see what was going on, anyway to my surprise it is boosting 1.5 bar (21psi) - well most of the time (first gear it sits at 1 bar - is this normal?)

Secondly, it feels no where near as fast as it should for a chipped s3 (amk) - is there anywhere else where somehow it could leak without the gauge showing? I can hear Chewbacca under the bonnet occasionally on light throttle ( which from another thread was a dodgey turbo to charge pipe hose) - however I thought if this was leaking substantially I wouldn't get full boost?

Boost gauge is hooked up to DV vacuum pipe.

Any ideas? Sound like it's chipped?

Reactions: Geir Berhovde
Does sound like its been but mine is the same 1bar of boost and goes up too 1.2bar in other gears but my clutch is slipping so I can't give it full beans

Cheers.

Can anyone think of any reason the power could be down despite boost still showing 21psi?

Cheers.

Can anyone think of any reason the power could be down despite boost still showing 21psi?

I had a similar problem on my 1.8T Golf and for ages I couldn't find a leak anywhere, but when I took it to R-Tech, they diagnosed a faulty fuel pump. So it could be that. You need to get VCDS on it to help diagnose the issue.

I had a similar problem on my 1.8T Golf and for ages I couldn't find a leak anywhere, but when I took it to R-Tech, they diagnosed a faulty fuel pump. So it could be that. You need to get VCDS on it to help diagnose the issue.

Cheers mate, something to look into. I have scanned it and its showing no faults. Also replaced the MAF recently which made no difference (was showing a fault code)

Might try take it into a different garage, see if a new set of eyes helps.

Oh, also, I took it out today and when on full boost, sometimes the boost gauge was showing up to 1.75 bar on WOT in 5th or 6th... That seems quite high to me for an almost stock car, should I be concerned?

If your over boosting it could be something to do with the N75 valve, see if you can get someone else's and try it in yours to see if that helps. If so then get one.

smoke leak test job#1

Have been looking into doing this - just need to find somewhere that can actually test it (I'm in New Zealand)

I understand that it may cause some issues, but it still seems to be holding quite high boost so can't see it causing a big issue?