New S3 Project Car

Stu231990

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive recently invested in a 8L S3 after trading my road legal quad bike for it, ive wanted one for ages and as soon as the opertunity came about I snapped it.

The car was originally owned by Ginetta motorsport as a pit car and had a full engine and gear box in 50k ago. However, with this being a project car, im wanting to drop a bigger lump under the bonnet and see what happens and was just wondering if anyone on here has done this or knows of what sort of engines I can look at to put in??

I was also wondering how strong are the standar 1.8T engines are i.e BHP and Torque wise.

Any advise would be hugely appreciated as im totally new to all of this as used to be more offroad than on road ha

Thanks again :)

Stu

The 1.8t is all the engine you will ever need to be fair the only real weakness is the con rods that can bend from 280bhp onwards some say 300 but if you wanted to change the rods and use a bigger turbo then the sky is the limit really I'm not the most clued up on them but I have heard of some people having 500 odd bhp

Reactions: Stu231990
seriously though, I mean what I say.
Standard engine you don't ideally want to exceed 300hp/300tq, and it takes a lot of money to exceed that.

For the same amount of money you can make a lot more, more reliably out of a VR6 turbo motor. 2.8 or 3.2, don't matter, its a better starting point.
And I still have a 1.8t motor. Wish I had've gone balls deep early on and turbo'd a vr6.

This is assuming youre a capable diy mechanic, have the money, and want 300-400+ horsepower

like I said mate its a project car so im wanting power, sound, looks and power.

does the VR6 drop in on standard mounts or does it need fabrication??

I don't want the car turned around in 5 mins as Im going to be doin it as and when I have the money.

I have my start point now with the car obv, just need the next part which is the engine and possibly the gear box.

im not technicly minded when it comes to mechanics but my friend is and hes agreed to do it free of charge as long as he can have a go lol

cool,

think ill be going for the 3.2 tbh.

it will be getting stripped down and all new parts as I want it **** on like,

how do the gearboxs cope?? u have any idea mate?

Now this is interesting me I love the sound of a vr6... This thread may have just cost me thousands lol

Reactions: ozzy38 and Stu231990
O2Ms are pretty good yeh, they can have their niggles with synchros and selector forks but so can any gearbox.
Just fit a decent clutch.
Haldex is pretty robust too, just a little old and slow.

mate you've been a legend,

thanks a lot mate

my laptops crashing ive got that many windows open haha

there is ALOT to do this, it wont be easy.
You seem enthusiastic though so whatever you do keep at it and keep us up to date.
vwvortex is the daddy for VR6-T builds

If you got the 3.2 route, you will need the gearbox aswell, as the 1.8T bell housing doesn't mate upto the 3.2 block.

one thing I will say, be prepared to have deep, very deep pockets

Awww dont think this is going to be done for 2morrow morning jamie lad, this is my project baby so will be done as and when ive got the money not straight away,

ill be getting the engine and box reconditioning them then get it dropped in.

Dont expect it to be cheapbut u pay for what u get at the end of the day dont u?

indeed you do...if you do pull this off, it will be an awesome build with some silly power for sure

Fingers crossed jamie :)

Its getting a full recon either way lol

its my 1st project so wana chuck myself in the deep end ha

my mates guna recon and fit all the parts in the engine side of life but think ill have to send it away to have turbo and gearbox done.

Just trying to find an engine and gear box now lol