Boost questions...

Beerzo

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!
Reaction score
I have an A4 1.8 T sport '97 (non-drive by wire). What should the car boost to as standard?

What is the safe limit for a K03 to boost too?

Has anyone fitted a manual boost controller to these. Would/wouldn't you recommend this route.
The reason i ask as that i will only make 30 bhp if i get the car chipped. So i was thinking of going manual boost control way, & turning it up a bit then just leaving it. Can anyone highlight any problems this may cause?

GO WITH CHIP TUNING WITH APR. IF YOU USE A MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER AND DONT ADD MORE FUEL, YOU WILL RUN LEAN. IF YOU WANT TO CREATE MORE HORESPOWER YOU NEED TO INCREASE FUEL AND AIR MIXTURE TOGETHER. DONT HALF *** IT OR YOUR CAR WILL BLOW UP. RIGHT NOW ON MY STOCK 2001 A4 1.8T I AM PUSHING 10LBS OF BOOST. IF YOU CHIP IT WITH APR YOU WILL GET 16LBS AND PUT 214WHP AND 247 FTLBS OF TORQUE. CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE. www.GOAPR.COM. TRUST ME DONT DO THE MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER. YOU SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER A K04 TURBO SWAP IT WILL BE A DIRECT BOLT ON. CHIP WILL RUN 499.00 AND THE K04 YOU CAN GET FOR AROUND 500.00 OR SO. YOU SHOULD SEE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN POWER FROM THESE TWO. ALSO A ABD RACING INTAKE.

What is the boost in BAR on my car standard as the gauage shows just about 0.5 BAR.

Cheers for the reply I will prob go down the chipping route but i was told it is a pain in the ar$e to chip my car as it is the early series of the 1.8 t engine so it should only make 30-35bhp being chipped.

Where did you get 30-35 increase from ? Jabbasport advertise 196-209 after remap and i know a few on here with early a4s have seen over 200 aswell

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get 30-35 increase from ? Jabbasport advertise 196-209 after remap and i know a few on here with early a4s have seen over 200 aswell

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am a good example of a Jabba remap .... The owner before me did say he had a new turbo on - not sure if it was a standard but if so and standard BHP of 150, a remap increased me by over 50 bhp... and it was a physical Chip as well as my ECU was too old to have revo technology

my remap was from AMD and i got 206hbp from the map

ive also just added the N75 J valve and i must say its pulling even better now

i want to get it on the rollers soon

i was told by Star performance that it would be one of too chips that the ECU would take and that one is a real pain to do and that alot of places if they came across it may not bother as it would be too much hassle.

Is this news to you all or do you know if this is the case or not.

I really fancy getting it chipped but not sure where to take it, and not sure if a chip or a remap would be the best option.

It was also Star Performance that told me it would only make 30-35 bhp increase on a chip.

[ QUOTE ]
i was told by Star performance that it would be one of too chips that the ECU would take and that one is a real pain to do and that alot of places if they came across it may not bother as it would be too much hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant comment - mine was very straight forward - Jabba never indicated 2 chips or 1 is a real pain

[ QUOTE ]
Is this news to you all or do you know if this is the case or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

News to me...

[ QUOTE ]
I really fancy getting it chipped but not sure where to take it

[/ QUOTE ]

Jabba or AMD seem to be common on here..

[ QUOTE ]
and not sure if a chip or a remap would be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your car is the older type ECU, I think REMAP is not an option - you need a physical chip (I may be wrong)

[ QUOTE ]
It was also Star Performance that told me it would only make 30-35 bhp increase on a chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont go there if other places say they can give you more - there are other places.... Jabba / AMD

Cheers, think i will get it done at Jabba, am sure Bedrock VeeDubs are a Jabba agent.

1) is yours a 150 or 180 bhp? £500 to get to 190-205bhp is steep in my book, especially as this is a standard remap that takes no other mods into consideration.
£500 is a long way towards a new turbo set up.
also i would look towards people like MRC who do custom maps for lots of heavily modded cars. you are actually getting something not just a download.

2) don't waste you money on a KO4 upgrade, by the time you have finshed you will have spent as much as a bigger turbo upgrade and you KO4 will be at its limit.

depends what you want

[ QUOTE ]
1) is yours a 150 or 180 bhp? £500 to get to 190-205bhp is steep in my book, especially as this is a standard remap that takes no other mods into consideration.
also i would look towards people like MRC who do custom maps for lots of heavily modded cars. you are actually getting something not just a download.

2) don't waste you money on a KO4 upgrade, by the time you have finshed you will have spent as much as a bigger turbo upgrade and you KO4 will be at its limit.

depends what you want

[/ QUOTE ]

Although i can see where you are coming from I personally like to mod my car a bit at a time to keep my interest up in it. Im gonna stump up for a remap soon and understand that i may be chucking money away at this stage as i may well go for a big turbo eventually at the minute however i will be more than happy with stage 1.
The jabba maps are not generic its a rolling road custom map and i reckon 50bhp for £500 is very cheap power.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

150 BHP - so as far as i know it can only be chipped and not re-mapped.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) don't waste you money on a KO4 upgrade, by the time you have finshed you will have spent as much as a bigger turbo upgrade and you KO4 will be at its limit.

depends what you want

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the other turbo options available that a chip will take into account. Or would i need to get something like a Dastek to get the best out of it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you got a Dastek i would be very interested to hear how you get on, i hav heard loads and loads of good things about them.

Colin T on ScottishVAG knows either the owner of one of the guys who works there i think.

A Dastek will be about £500 and thereafter £70 per hour to get updates on the map as you make other modifications.

[ QUOTE ]

The jabba maps are not generic its a rolling road custom map and i reckon 50bhp for £500 is very cheap power.

[/ QUOTE ]

rolling road they might, don't believe they build a new map for generic remaps of stock cars. Delighted to be proved wrong.
Once they have invested time in a map that works for a stock 1.8t in a pre 1999 Mk4 golf for example....thats what you get.

Thats why you get the same peak power from a remap on a 150bhp and a 180bhp car

The rolling road is for your benefit not theirs

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean from a Jabba map specifically?

If you mean across the board then that certainly is not the case... most remaps will yield roughly 40-50HP over standard figures. I, and many others, have the 180BHP model (remapped at AmD a long while ago now) and the remap produced 230BHP, similar figures for the other owners. That sort of figure (+80BHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) could never be achieved from a 150BHP model after a simple remap.

T

so how much is a remap ????? mine was a bit gut less the lads a audi told me to get a new air mass meter it would run like new they said ****** its a good job i know all the parts lads and got it back doored or it would have cost me £284 for nowt it feels just the same so i need more smoother power

Mapping is aroun £350-500 depending on the company you could also fit a N75-j valve as this will also boost power for around £55.

imported_VaulterTim said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean from a Jabba map specifically?

If you mean across the board then that certainly is not the case... most remaps will yield roughly 40-50HP over standard figures. I, and many others, have the 180BHP model (remapped at AmD a long while ago now) and the remap produced 230BHP, similar figures for the other owners. That sort of figure (+80BHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) could never be achieved from a 150BHP model after a simple remap.

T

ok so whats the diff between the engines there both 1.8 turbos did they change something drasticly?

Just wondering, I have got an n75j valve now seems to be ok. I have since fitted a boost gauge, can anyone tell me where the need should sit when the car is at idle? When i turn my car on the need goes from zero to a negative reading. Then when i touch the accelerator it starts to climb. out the zero. Does this happen to anyone else.

Sorry for sounding such a dumb ***.

blackshadow said:
ok so whats the diff between the engines there both 1.8 turbos did they change something drasticly?

I also thought my qs 180 was just down to a tweaked ecu - Is there any other difference? :uhm:

Can anyone answer my last question above on the way my boost gauge is displaying?

Beerzo said:
Just wondering, I have got an n75j valve now seems to be ok. I have since fitted a boost gauge, can anyone tell me where the need should sit when the car is at idle? When i turn my car on the need goes from zero to a negative reading. Then when i touch the accelerator it starts to climb. out the zero. Does this happen to anyone else.

That is normal, on tickover or when you cruise and let off the pedal it will gradually go back to a minus level, depending on how much you lift off. Say you cruise at 40 after accelerating, when you start to lift off and find a level speed, you should see it will go near zero. Negative reading is basically vacuum being detected rather than boost. Hope this makes sense.

Beerzo said:

That is normal, on tickover or when you cruise and let off the pedal it will gradually go back to a minus level, depending on how much you lift off. Say you cruise at 40 after accelerating, when you start to lift off and find a level speed, you should see it will go near zero. Negative reading is basically vacuum being detected rather than boost. Hope this makes sense.

hiltoa said:
I also thought my qs 180 was just down to a tweaked ecu - Is there any other difference? :uhm:

Believe they have the K03 Sport turbo too, but may be wrong. Also I understand there are different cylinder heads used too, possibly an intercooler each side like the higher bhp TT's?