Boost question

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Hi all you Audi yoda's, I'm looking for some wisdom...

I've just hooked up a nice shiny boost gauge, red glow and everything :hubbahubba:
Took the old girl out for a run on the dual-carraigeway and noticed that, when foot to floor, getting about 14psi initially which then drops to about 6psi.
Is this normal or should she be holding the full 14psi?

When you say drops, do you mean after about 5 k it drops off to the redline? Thats normal.

If it's spiking 14 then dropping quickly to 6, it would indicate to me a boost leak

I'll check on the way to work in the morning but I'm sure it was dropping off before 5K. So I'm thinking leak.

I recently fitted new silicone hoses so they should be ok. Suspects for a leak would have to include dodgy hoses clips or the forge dv.

I've got a TT dv kicking around somewhere so will be fitting that a the weekend (as well as fixing the door handle, lol)

Checked it out on the way to work and things actually seem ok. Getting spike up to 14-15psi then dropping off but at around 5.5k. Floor it and boost peaks up again.
Only got a short dual-carriageway and lot's of boys inblue around so couldn't go crazy.

Will post a vid as soon as I work out a 'legal' way.

Still might change the dv and maybe stick on the N75k that I have kicking around to see what differences they make.