C5 A6 2.5tdi cut out and won't restart

brad25uk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been lurking on here a while unregistered, just reading on common issues and mods etc. I've now registered as I need some help with the below issue...

I have a 1998 manual C5 A6 2.5tdi FWD 150 AFB model, approx 120,000 miles (hope that covers it ) that has happily been working fine until last friday.

It started fine and moved about 2-300m, then attempting to move off it just cut out and would not restart. It doesn't even attempt to crank.

I scanned for faults and got:

00550 - Start of Injection Regulation
08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

I since cleared the error and it now shows no errors when the ignition is on.

Battery power is fine. I have been running a chipped ECU, but I have swapped back to my original ECU (exact same model no.) and there is no difference.

I have tried researching the problem on here and other forums, but with the different models it is hard to pinpoint. My gut feeling from reading the posts is that it's the injection pump, rather than something simple and cheap!

I have vagcom, so if there are any readings or measurements I can take then please do let me know.

If it is the injection pump, are used pumps an option? As I know there are possible coding issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

Last edited:
I fear you may be correct i had the same fault codes for my AKE engine 2.5 TDI quattro sport .
Get a second opinion first though ?
Where are you based ?
Diesel Bob is the Company i used to recondition my pump hence saving on recoding the binnacle !
good luck

Grab a screen shot of measuring blocks 18 in engine controller...it will tell me if the pump EDC is working or not...

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have an update on the car...

Following a visit from the RAC (as i'd given up diagnosing) the battery was deemed unhealthy (most likely due to all the attempted starting). This was swapped over and a temporary extra earth added, it still didn't want to start, but did now attempt to crank.
Eventually it fired into life, made a loud noise and then smoke came from down low at the front (near the alternator location), so it was switched off.

The RAC chap diagnosed it as a seized alternator that had then freed with a new battery. It was then towed to a friend's garage last night.

We then got it up on the ramp last night and removed the belt covers, it quickly became apparent that the drive belt had snapped. Once the front end was off and the covers removed it showed that the failure was the drive belt tensioner that has a bolt in a dual threaded sleeve had sheared a bolt. This had then ground through the crank pulley and destroyed the drive belt.

The cambelt is still intact, so replacement pulleys and belts are due to arrive tomorrow and hopefully it'll fire up ok once back together