White smoke on start up and loss of coolant

RAFC_1990

Reaction score
2.0 TDi 2006, BKD engine.

Been getting the coolant light on dash for a few months but just ignored as coolant level was at max, however past month lots of white smoke out the back on start up and thats wether its a hot or cold start but as soon as you set off non at all, but if leave it to idle just keeps coming out. So ive been starting up and going straight away recently, also just checked the coolant level recently and its now inbetween min and max having previously always been on the max line, so small loss over the last month or so.

Really dont want to be spending any more money on this car after what ive already spent on it, was considering maybe putting some K seal in? Also anyone any ideas what the issue could be?

More than likely a cracked/porus head im afraid fella.

If you type in BKD white smoke or BKD Cracked head into search or Google and lots of hits will come.

Unfortunatly is a reasonably expensieve replacement, K seal is not going to kill it nor cure it - but i suppose is worth a shot lol?

Jonny.

Will be cracked head, stick some k seal in it! Follows the instructions on the bottle properly and it should work fine 👍

Hey, check your head serial number, if it's an A or B head, you're out of luck.

I also have the same issue and my head is A... They're faulty.

Thanks for advice guys, feared it may have been that.

Will try the K seal, however says I have to put the full 256ml bottle in which I fear will take the coolant well over the max line, anyone know how much is between the min and max line?

My mechanic strictly told me NOT to use K seal or anything similar, he said it might cause me far worse problems. Weird.

Before kseal or anything else, check the coolant for oil contamination, check the oil cap for foam, check the oil level.

A cracked head will allow the coolant to get into the oil and viceversa.
If coolant gets into the oil you will see a higher level and maybe that foam/mayo on the oil cap.

I've been loosing coolant and also got the white smoke.
I've removed the egr and egr cooler and the smoke had gone. Since the coolant level kept droping, I've vhanged the radiato, which was cracked. This slowed the process but I was still loosing coolant.
In the end I've changed the timing belt and the water pump. No more loss.
Thr water pump was in a very bad condition. And since it is placed in a very hot area, all the leaking coolant was evaporating fast and I couldn't see any sign around it.

Last edited:
As above, EGR coolers are also a weak spot for losing coolant on these engines. I was once told by an Audi tech that in the earlier days of the BKD they were seeing one or two cars a week having EGR coolers swapped, and maybe one every couple of months for a cylinder head. So going by that it is more likely to be the cooler.

As also mentioned, check the part number for your head, specifically the last letter.