dirty little pickup!

JUS3IN

14.0 @ 98mph 2s 60ft
Reaction score
20140628 10482520140628 10543220140628 105625new vs old with a torch shined up it!!! Listen for any rattles when turning or accelerating hard people! Just caught this in time I think!

That little mesh does its job, how many other 200k petrol turbos do you see around!-) just listen out for a top end rattle and catch it before the low oil warning appears and you should be ok, off course to change it before that is the best solution...

Nope, would probably help but not sure that lump of gasket would have came out the sump plug mind you... I think most of the build up was the same as what sticks around the inside of the sump, black oily grime... I wire brushed it all off then cleaned before refitting the sump.

My motor needs this treatment! Bought my 2000 s3 with zero history at 97k, now with 101k and increasing rapidly, I'm thinking this job must be done soon before **** hits the fan, Infact **** already hit the fan! After doing 500 miles in my s3 the gearbox failed! Had to make a decision, do I cut my loses and sell for spares/repair or do I accept my wallet is gonna take a serious impact..

Obviously I went for the latter and organised a used gearbox off ebay along with new clutch,flywheel and slave cylinder! Then labour on top of that! Cost around 1 k to put right! After spending all that, I decided preventative maintenance was the way ahead! So recently had timing belt and waterpump changed! Swapped the plastic pump for metal one!

Now I think oil pump and pick up should be done, I'm not bad with the spanners so will have a bash at it myself.. Looks like a messy job, oil dripping down from the crank, not looking forward to it!!

not worth changing thinngs till they break imo, except the pickup and cambelt.. would be silly to not do the oil pump while your in there tho..... will need a torque wrench for the pump nuts tho!-)

I did the pickup on mine @60k miles as a precaution. The price of the part means it's a no brainer really, with the age of the cars now.