Vinyl wrap or paint?

Djwoody

Reaction score
Thinking about changing the colour of the Chrome grille surround on my 3.0TDI to Gloss Black.
Also, the Chrome around the windows.
Would it be ok to vinyl wrap these or would you recommend painting?

Thinking about changing the colour of the Chrome grille surround on my 3.0TDI to Gloss Black.
Also, the Chrome around the windows.
Would it be ok to vinyl wrap these or would you recommend painting?
There's a rs4 near me that's had the trims wrapped , looks good

the plastidip looks crap up close

better off wraping the trim very easy to do DIY

Is not like you are gonna paint some wheels with the glossy black plastidip (eventhough I PERSONALLY think it looks pretty good on wheels cost-benefit wise).

For the thin trim I think it'll ok. And save the hussle of taking out the bumper maybe?

Wrapping the grille is fairly easy, I did it on my old B7

Thanks a lot, think I'll go down the wrapping route. Hopefully won't be too difficult.

Wrapping all the way IMO .... just use a hairdryer for heat and not a heat gun as most heat guns are way to hot ... If you can do it inside after a good clean as this will help to stop any bits in the air getting under it but not a must ...

Good Luck and don't forget the photos once its done :)

Well the cheapest I got quoted for grill to be wrapped was £60 .. So I brought Plasti dip the other day and all I'm going to say is 'AMAZING' .. It only looks crap up close if you spray it wrong or don't clean the grill before...

Mine looks amazing I did 5 coats and it's so smooth and so easy to do.. Just been on a 800mile trip and all it had on it was some flys so all I did was get a face wipe out and cleaned them off and it's still looking smart .. Here's what mine looks like..

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/220712-plasti-dip-grille-badges.html

Well the cheapest I got quoted for grill to be wrapped was £60 .. So I brought Plasti dip the other day and all I'm going to say is 'AMAZING' .. It only looks crap up close if you spray it wrong or don't clean the grill before...

Mine looks amazing I did 5 coats and it's so smooth and so easy to do.. Just been on a 800mile trip and all it had on it was some flys so all I did was get a face wipe out and cleaned them off and it's still looking smart .. Here's what mine looks like..

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/220712-plasti-dip-grille-badges.html

What was your method mate, any primers or ote required? Application seems easy enough, going to try this myself!

What was your method mate, any primers or ote required? Application seems easy enough, going to try this myself!

No Primer.. and it really is easy enough to take off!

Took me about an hour to do and left it to dry for 4 hours.. I found the way to do it is to spray just a little amount on for the first and second coat then 3rd and 4th just spray it :D .. I followed this video and again ive just got back from london and its still looking sweeeeet :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgtiv6iKi4