NIGHTMARE!

jdw88rm

Reaction score
Evening guys,

Just had to get this off my chest and also advise anyone against these cowboys...
Left my car with NEO Autos in Chivenor near Barnstaple on Sunday while I was away earlier on in the week to have 2 front discs and a near side front wheel bearing fitted.
Got back yesterday in the hope that he'd have it finished (MORE than enough time to fit 2 discs and a bearing)... but no. I walked down this afternoon to pressure him into pulling his finger out as I needed the car for the weekend.
He told me the track rod end wasn't coming apart and 2 of the wheel bearing bolts were seized. This means nothing to me but he then said that he'll need to get in touch with his insurers to cover these extra parts?! That's when alarm bells started! I looked under the arch and what faced me was carnage. Twisted/sheered metal held together with cable ties.
I went down to another garage further down the industrial park (GS Autotech) and spoke to them. Apparently this guy is a known cowboy and they've had many run ins with him. The bloke isn't even a qualified mechanic from what they told me. Just a wanna be who inherited some cash and opened a garage?! The c*nt had also been seen driving my car in and out each morning and evening AND the back seats are filthy with grease and dirt. Feel like caving his skull in.
I marched back to cowboy Kev and told him I didn't want him carrying on with any work and we carefully had to push the car off his ramp and out of his workshop. As it stands it's outside his garage ready to be trailered round to GS Autotech in the morning to get properly fixed! I just hope and pray he hasn't done that much damage.
STAY CLEAR GUYS IF YOU'RE IN THE NORTH DEVON AREA!

Drove down there Sunday evening as I knew I was away early hours Monday with work for couple days and he was locking up and seemed fine so explained what needed doing, left the car and the parts with him and agreed to pick it up mid week.

wow, i think even i'd do a better job than that!

is there any way to report him to some garage standards group or something like that if he's not a qualified mechanic?

Yeh I'm gonna! Priority is fixing the car at the moment though.

Oh dear, sounds like he is trying to remove the suspension upright to remove the wheel bearing hence faffing about with the tie rod end.
The bearing is held in with 4 bolts - they are tight but don't seize - its the bearing housing that usually becomes stuck in the upright.
Easily removed with the correct tools though!

The amount of time is a pishtake though - I replaced two front bearings in around 3 hours.