Thermostat plug qustion????

dazza2393

Reaction score
Hello peeps.i have more trouble with this little a3.im sratring to think ive bought a stinker!!!!!the car is a 1.6 2002 plate facelift model.the thing is it heats up to fast and the fans knock it down back to 90°…the electrical plug want i presume opens the thermo or closes when the water gets hot was bodged together with electrical tape and wires joined together.does anyone know how to test if the existing wires on my car are getting power through?also could this be the reason why its overheating?had hoses off flushed the radiator through and its all clear.also my fans kick in when the engine is cold?whats that all about and to top it off my revs bounce and dont settle once the engines warm.like i say i think ive bought a right stinker!!!hope any one out there knows,!!!!or has had 31any of these symptoms before.tried scrapyard and cant get a new plug anywhere!!!thanks people

The thermostat is mechanical not electronic. The 1.6 is known for cracked heads causing overheating sadly.

Cant be that.had it all checked out.i am not losing coolant as,well.so what is the electric 2 pin plug what plugs into the top of the thermo housing?

So what is that 2 pin plug what plugs into the thermostat?where abouts are the fan switches?you say one of?is there more than 1?also how would that make the temperature gauge go right up mate?thanks.

So what is the 2pin plug the n anyone???????also forgot to mention the top hose is beyond hot and the bottom hose is luke warm.any ideas anyone?????i am really in need of some ideas!!thank you.

Can you tell me will my thermostat work without the two pin plug plugged in then? Im guessing thermostat now as had water pump fitted with timing belt not so long agao.so would thermo still work with out electric plug then mate.?thanks by the way.

So why the electrical plug?do you know which one i mean?so will it work if plug is disconnected?why the reason for the electric plug?any ideas??

The thermostat is mechanical. It doesn't need electricity to function
Sorry mate, but you're wrong. On the 1.6 engines the thermostat is map controlled and thus has an electrical connection.Costs around £50 to replace too!OP:You really need to do a scan with vcds to see if there are any error codes logged.

There is no lights on or eml lights come on?would a cheap fault code reader tell me?