Help me please

Dan21uk

Reaction score
just bought a car last week its 2005 audi a3
ive noticed funny thing about it

seller never told me it was hit or anything but on my new keepers slip
it says REGISTrATION MARK -D

does this mean its cat d??or what does this mean?? thanks for help folks my head is wrecked

Have you HPI checked it? Easiest way to find out. If you bought it private not a lot you can do really, if from a trader then they have legal responsibility to inform you of it. If you've got iphone then download my vehicle check it's free but it'll cost u £1.99 to HPI it.

ive done hpi check by msg 78888 with my reg and it doesnt say its cat d tho..but what does registration mark D means then??

Ring the dvla..they will be open now ..

Let us know how you get on for future reference ..

Should be ok if the hip check come back with no accidents .

Ron will the D just be the validation character of the vehicle for tax purposes?

Reactions: Ron burgundy
ive done hpi check by msg 78888 with my reg and it doesnt say its cat d tho..but what does registration mark D means then??

Don't worry pal, it's just the validation character for your vehicle. So if you needed to tax your car but didn't have the V5 yet you'd take the new keeper bit and they'd know what tax band your cars in with the D for example mine says W..

just bought a car last week its 2005 audi a3
ive noticed funny thing about it

seller never told me it was hit or anything but on my new keepers slip
it says REGISTrATION MARK -D

does this mean its cat d??or what does this mean?? thanks for help folks my head is wrecked

Where does it say this on the new keepers details? What section?

Does it say your reg Dan then a little box with the letter? eg...

YU10 RS3 D

Last edited:
yea ive new keeper slip theres a REGistration mark and small box with D with it,just above your details that u fill in(name surname and address) i mind last car was just -

yea ive new keeper slip theres a REGistration mark and small box with D with it,just above your details that u fill in(name surname and address) i mind last car was just -

It's just the validation character mate, no need to worry!

thank to god i tho ive bought previously damaged car

Just a heads up: those txt messages to check history wont check everything against the car.
You need to do a full HPI check online which would guarantee nothing is dodgy/outstanding.

I know someone who got stung as the car had a logbook loan against it, he used those txt messages servicing before buying and thought it would check everything.

Just a heads up: those txt messages to check history wont check everything against the car.
You need to do a full HPI check online which would guarantee nothing is dodgy/outstanding.

I know someone who got stung as the car had a logbook loan against it, he used those txt messages servicing before buying and thought it would check everything.

True, my cousin bought a discovery 3 did full HPI all come back clear until he sent log book off.. Ended getting house busted on a Sunday morning cos the discovery was a ringer, lost 11k. Nothing he could do about it!