Newbie after some info before purchase

Swervedriver

Reaction score
Hello to you all. Got a few questions before I take the plunge on an S3. The car i'm looking at is a 2003/03 with 60,000 miles. Firstly the water pump. Did all cars come with the plastic impeller, or did the later cars have the metal one? If the pump has been changed, any way I can tell which one the car has? Are belts every 5years, 60,000 miles, is this what Audi recommends? Haldex oil and filter, every 20,000 is that correct. I know this has probably been covered on here before, but i'm getting some contrasting info.

Regards

Craig.

I can tell you that Audi recommend changing the Haldex oil every 20,000, and the filter every 40,000 miles. If you do go for it and want to change the filter, shell out for the tool, it is impossible without it, and you won't really be able to bodge anything together for it. I tried last week.

Water pump impeller type recommendation is a little mythical mate... they weren't getting changed as part of the cambelt service and left long enough they would fail... its only pumps that have been in for tens of thousands of miles without being swapped that suffer...

Metal impeller pumps are not without issues... all the ones I have seen fitted leak through the shaft after very little mileage..

Personally as long as its an new OE pump then you will have no worries until the next belt change... belts should realistically be done at 60-70k or 5 years... if yours hasn't been doesn't I would consider doing it along with water pump and the cam belt tensioner damper

<tuffty/>