17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit : Electrical Fault

r4vvm

Reaction score
I have a 2.0tdi BKD and noticed that it takes a few turns to start the car, seems like the battery is flat but its not that.

Scanned the car and got this error 17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12): Electrical Fault

Could this just need a new glow plug?

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Glowplug electrical fault on that engine is more likely to be a problem with the wiring loom rather than the plug. You would need to test the glow plug before changing it, best way is with a multi meter or if you don't have one then swap the plug with another and see if the fault follows it.

One dead glowplug will not cause the car to struggle to start generally, unless the temperature is well below freezing. Does it always struggle or just when the engine is warm?

If it isn't the battery then chances are it's a lazy starter motor.

Glowplug electrical fault on that engine is more likely to be a problem with the wiring loom rather than the plug. You would need to test the glow plug before changing it, best way is with a multi meter or if you don't have one then swap the plug with another and see if the fault follows it.

One dead glowplug will not cause the car to struggle to start generally, unless the temperature is well below freezing. Does it always struggle or just when the engine is warm?

If it isn't the battery then chances are it's a lazy starter motor.

It only struggles on the first start after that it starts straight away.

So only on the first start of the day after it has been left over night?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it is neither start/battery or glowplugs causing this. The main culprit when the car won't start first time in the morning (after the battery) is a fuel flow problem, either the lift pump in the tank or the high pressure pump on the head.

Yep only only struggles on the first start of the day.

How do i check the fuel flow problem?