My boot lid is filling up with water

Joshg

Reaction score
Every time I open the boot I get water pouring out from behind the lights it runs out of those flaps you open to access the bulbs. Any ideas where it's getting in?
Cheers.

Every time I open the boot I get water pouring out from behind the lights it runs out of those flaps you open to access the bulbs. Any ideas where it's getting in?
Cheers.

Hi Joshg, I had the same problem before I retro fitted LED's. It was the seal between the light lense and the bodywork. I got new seal's with the LED's, problem solved.
ps. Check the water hasn't been corroding the light fitment boards, the ones the bulbs go into, as this will eventually through up light errors. Hope this helps solve your problem.

JG

Hi Joshg, I had the same problem before I retro fitted LED's. It was the seal between the light lense and the bodywork. I got new seal's with the LED's, problem solved.
ps. Check the water hasn't been corroding the light fitment boards, the ones the bulbs go into, as this will eventually through up light errors. Hope this helps solve your problem.

JG

Thanks mate I thought it might be the light seals.
Mine has the led lights already on and I can't imagine the water doing them any good. I'll see if I can silicone the seals or if not then might have to buy new light seals :-(

Thanks mate I thought it might be the light seals.
Mine has the led lights already on and I can't imagine the water doing them any good. I'll see if I can silicone the seals or if not then might have to buy new light seals :-(

No probs mate, let me know how you get on, hopefully the silicone option will do the trick.
JG

I've had the same problem. The light seals are a known problem, especially in early cars. Even with the boot fully open there will be some water left. To get rid of all the water you will need to remove the two plastic plugs at the bottom of the boot. If these are removed the water will drain out. Best done with the boot open just enough for the water not to go in the boot. If you have an audio amp in the boot count yourself lucky as these can be knackered by the water.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 233
Cheers.
Did you ever get this sorted mate? And did you have water in the boot lid under the carpet/trim?