Xenon Bulbs???

JakeMack1992

Reaction score
Please can someone help me with renewing the dipped headlight xenon bulb!

It says they both need replacing and the do flicker every now and then. So I've been looking online and I'm amazed the price Audi charge! £138 per bulb!

So, I've looked online and seen the cheapo ones for £15 and I've found Philips ones for £70.

What do people recommend? Also I've been told it has to be D2S? I've no idea what that means haha

Please help someone!

Looking at your new member post I see you have an s3 which has bi-xenon lights which is D1S bulb not D2s that's for Older single xenon headlights. Like anything don't buy cheap or you will buy twice. Your currents ones will already be Philips as that's what come from factory so just replace with more Philips it's the best option.

i remember reading something the other day when someone bought the cheap bulbs and they turned out to be half the brightness of a more expensive bulb.

Ahh right ok thats good to know then! D1S I'll look out for then.

Yeah I was thinking that myself, no point getting the cheap ones. I'll look for some D1S Philips then!

4300 is white/yellow
6000 is slightly blue
8000 is very blue

Personally I like 6000k, when out in lanes it's easier to see oncoming cars because their yellow light shows up easier in your slightly blue light. I feel you can see more with 6000k

4.3k looks like halogen, go for 6k, from what i understand make sure you disconnect battery before installing/removing, because of the power output in the bulbs, someone will clarify this im sure.

Ahh right ok then, yeah 6000 sounds good then. I've also read that these take ages to fit and you need to remove the bumper?

Please tell me I'm wrong haha!

Thanks for your help lads

Ahh right ok then, yeah 6000 sounds good then. I've also read that these take ages to fit and you need to remove the bumper?

Please tell me I'm wrong haha!

Thanks for your help lads

What year is your S3? If your car's a later S3 then it's D3S not D1S.

Those Phillips bulbs you have linked to are fake, no doubt. The part number on the box is actually for a 4100k OEM replaement bulb , I'm pretty sure the only 6k xenon bulb Phillips make are the Ultrablue but they're nearly £100 per bulb! Philips UltraBlue D1S Bulbs 6000K upgrade Xenon headlight bulb

There's so many fake bulbs on Ebay, I'd say probably 3/4 of the branded bulbs on there are cheap Chinese knock offs.

Not only are the fake ones fake, the output from them can be shockingly low so while they might look a nice "white/blue" colour your actual useable light output on the road is way less than standard which defeats the whole point of having xenon headlights.

Best D3S of the bunch at the moment would be 5000k Phillips Xtreme Vision but they're extremely expensive. Better to get some Phillips or Osram 4300k OEM replacements from a reputable supplier. Even those are about £40 a bulb though.

If they are D1S on your car then you can get Osram CBI's with great output and truely white colour, again they're expensive though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curley89
The car was registered October 2006. I have been told there are a lot of fakes and although they can be expensive I don't mind paying for decent bulbs as long as they definitely fit!

The car was registered October 2006. I have been told there are a lot of fakes and although they can be expensive I don't mind paying for decent bulbs as long as they definitely fit!

D1S then.

It's up to you, you could get new OEM for about £75 2 x OSRAM 66144 XENARC D1S 35W HID XENON REPLACEMENT BULB E-MARKED *MADE IN GERMANY* - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store

Or CBI's (the best) for about £170(!!) Replacement Osram D1S Cool Blue Intense Upgrade Cool Blue Intense...

Or.... a curveball, 5100k MTEC (chinese) bulbs but get good reviews and use a high quality GE burner like OEM bulbs for £75

2 x MTEC D1S 5100K 35W HID XENON REPLACEMENT CAR BULBS WITH GENUINE *GE BURNERS* - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store

Reactions: Curley89
I'll have a good look at all 3! Cheers mate, your a star! Even Audi in Crewe couldnt even tell me what fit! Useless gits!

Hi I've just recently bought some d1s bulbs from a company called autobulbs.co.uk can't recommend them enough. Good prices and delivery, I think my bulbs were £75 each for Philips .

Hello pals!

Having trouble changing my D2S bulbs on my A3 Sportback MY05.

Did get to dismantle the ballast but I can't get the ring to rotate so I can take out the bulb.

In my case I did go through the safe route of buying OEM replacements from a parallel dealer, wich in euros cost me nearly 100.-€. Given the fact lighting is a safety item I would not recommend buying them by internet as chances are they won't work well, maybe would be a "copycat" item.

thanks in advance. will post my presentation when I can make a pair of photos to my ride.

greetings from spain!

WhatsApp Image 2019 01 08 at 151957

Best to remove the bumper and fit the bulbs, you’ll get them seated properly and won’t break anything.
To remove the bumper will take you about 2 hours the first time, after that you’ll be doing it 30 mins. It is easy once you find the screws and nuts, you’ll need a Torx driver or two.

As you undo the lower 2 torx bolts holding the light in make sure you push down on the light to stop the adjuster moving up or down. Pushing down on the lamp stops the adjuster rotating. Do the same as you are tightening the bolts down after refitting.
The bumper does need to come off:-(

As already posted, it’s best to remove bumper and take headlights out as those Xenon bulbs are a pain to fit.
Once you’ve removed the bumper a few times you can easily do it in the times that SootySport has mentioned.
Actually the bulbs come out easily, it’s getting the ignitor to fit on the end and to rotate fully home is what I found difficult.
Not a nice job at all, even with the headlamp sat in your lap.
How anyone fits one with the headlamp in-situ escapes me.....

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Long time I didn't reply but I'd like to thank you all on your advice about removing the bumper, it was the better way to do it without breaking anything.

Reactions: SootySport and S.