Squealing

hamski

Reaction score
Hi

I've got what can only be described as squeal when lifting the clutch. Only happens in first and second and is worse the slower I let the clutch out.

Any ideas?

Ta

hello mate, got the same problem with mine, makes a sqeal noise when pulling off in 1st or 2nd. also when iv been accelerating hard in 2nd recently it seems to take an age to respond before it really starts to pull. iv cunched the gearbox a number of times too since owning it in 3rd and 4th cuz it duznt always go in easily, not sure if this has nething to do with it. any kind of ideas would be grateful.

now im goin to be very ignorant and ask... if it is the clutch release bearing, will i need to replace the whole clutch? any idea on how much that might be to repair/ replace?

if the bearing goes you may as well do the whole clutch with the work involved, Hard to say if it is that Id get a expert to check it out first.

I had this after bleeding my brakes. I accidentally got some brake fluid onto the shaft. No amount of grease sorted it.............I got so fed up that I fitted an new clutch master cylinder. All quiet again now.

I've just fitted a lightweight aluminium flywheel and 4-puck clutch (from ATP in the states), new release bearing etc. and have an absolutely horrible squaling noise when I pull off... as described above the noise is even worse if I'm very careful when letting the clutch out... if I dump it then I get no noise at all.

Did anyone come up with a definitive answer to this problem before I go ripping it all apart again? :wacko:

The other problem I got was the starter sticking (badly) when bolted into place... when the two main mounting bolts are removed (starter still held in place by small bracket) the noise disappears completely ... solution? Remove the bolts! lol Will need to sort that obviously :eyebrows:

ok, so i havnt had a chance or the money to take the car to the grage to see about the sqeeling, driving home today after droping the GF off to work, change down a gear and he car makes a noise and suddenly the clutch pedal is now stuck to the floor. no broke bits of the pedal on the carpet so i know thats not the prob. managed to force it into 1st to get me home but is now undriveable. what fun.

Sounds like the release bearings let go

im thinkin of gettin it dun at audi, family member works ther so will get a bit of a discount. im guna get quotes tomra and try and get the car ther but jus wud like a bit of a heads up to the damage

Megabucks springs to mind!!

I did mine for under £90 but did not replace the clutch while i was there, if it goes in the future i will replace it then. Would never let a main dealer near a car of mine!!

Yeah good few hours, at audis charge rate i would rather pass and do the work my self

right people, took the car to audi, they found the problem. the master cylinder had seized, turned itself inside out, the push rod had bent and a clip on the clutch pedal had snapped and thats y it had stuck to the floor. so they replaced it all and because i know some who works in the dealers i got all that done for 160 quid. which i thought was good.
well i got the car back on the friday eve, the car still squeals when releasing the clutch so that is obv the release bearing. on the sat afternoon, i put the car into reverse and car makes a huge crunch/ bang and smoke is now pouring from the bonnet. the clutch pedal has no presure behind it to bring it back up. tow it back to audi and it turns out an O ring has failed and now they are charging me 56 quid for the O ring and labour, less than a day after i got it back? is that right???

Sounds expensive to me. I had the master cylinder changed at my local VW garange. Cost me £140 and I don't have any friends there. I'd take it back to the garage as they put 12 or 24 months on their parts and fitting so complain that they didn't do the job properly in the first place.