Downpipe downer BKD TDI

Muzzcuzz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone is able to help with this... I've got an 04 A3 TDI, BKD engine code and I'm trying to fit a Milltek decat downpipe + centrepipe + custom exhaust tip which has had the backbox removed. Doing it on Jackstands so access is a bit of a squeeze.

Ive got the car up and loosened all the fittings on the standard exhaust, but I can't get the damn downpipe off the turbo! I've loosened the bracket fusing the turbo and DP together right off (may also be worth mentioning that the bracket is fused to the downpipe) but no amount of shaking/whacks with a mallet has so far convinced the turbo to let the downpipe go!. Once I've got it off it's plain sailing but until then the struggle continues... Is there anyone who is familiar with the process of removing the exhaust system, that could suggest what I've missed/ what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Murray

TBH the clamp/bracket may need a big screwdriver, chisel or lever bar to edge it away, if its never been of as such.

As NHN said, I done mine on axle stands so know your pain, if you can get another person to put a screwdriver in between the clamp and you hit it with a hammer underneath it should go, bare in mind however there are 3 "sleeves" that all need to be removed from the downpipe in that one clip.

I know it's not really useful to the OP but a big hammer is usually helpful right? :p

Reactions: NHN
It does help tbh as I used one lmao.

Run it for a few minutes, spray WD40 on it and leave it overnight.

Sayam you were right about the big hammer. I was using a rubber one just to be on the safe side, but got desperate and went for a bigger metal one. Guess the bigger metal one was able make the pipe resonate more and shock it free :D
Thanks to everyone who posted for your help :)

Hi I'm currently stuck trying to get same clip off, I've tried a hammer no luck. Do I need to move the clip first