New rear coils and now my S3 is lower? NOT intentional!!! 0.0

rolto1822

Turbo Trainee
Reaction score
So the situation is: Took my S3 in for her MOT on tuesday (bit late notice... ran out on thursday); failed on N/S broken rear coil spring, and O/S steering rack boot. Car is kept offroad, and only used socially - so it was never going to be a problem if it had to sit unused due to no MOT for a few days..

Anyways; I replaced the rack boot yesterday, springs didn't come until today and fitted them today, went off essentially without a hitch. All done and ready to be re-tested, but just parked it up and noticed it looks a lot lower at the back end than it did as stock.

The springs that i used are KYB K-Flex, part number RJ6631, which is exactly what their own catalogue states for this model and year of S3. They are brand new from Carfactors UK, and the K-Flex series is meant to be OE equivalent - i also expect good things from KYB in general.

I'm wondering whether somehow i've ended up with the wrong springs, or maybe the shocks need some opportunity to return to their full extension (mechanically self-levelling??)? Really quite miffed!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
2014 04 11 181228
Here's a pic for good measure !

- Sam

Got the same some time ago, and they lowered the car just as much... more for a tt? Tried them for a while but just too close for speed bumps for me so got a Audi set.

Mark

interesting - on the invoice they do say for a TT but equally the S3 is listed for them.. i can't say it puts me off too much - though i can't drive it until I've had it retested (sadly having slaved over them today, my MOT guy had gone home by the time i was nearly done). But the fact that it's uneven with the front is annoying. Also would be worried that the insurers would claim it was lowered - annoying because its low enough that it looks it, and if i'd have wanted to lower it (and therefore pay for the insurance) i'd have bought a full set of eibach lowering springs or something, if not coilovers.

interesting - on the invoice they do say for a TT but equally the S3 is listed for them.. i can't say it puts me off too much - though i can't drive it until I've had it retested (sadly having slaved over them today, my MOT guy had gone home by the time i was nearly done). But the fact that it's uneven with the front is annoying. Also would be worried that the insurers would claim it was lowered - annoying because its low enough that it looks it, and if i'd have wanted to lower it (and therefore pay for the insurance) i'd have bought a full set of eibach lowering springs or something, if not coilovers.

Could have been supplied incorrect RR springs.

Only way of knowing is to x/ref the part number from the invoice to the OEM spring part number. They may however have some a modified design ( maybe ) or you have been supplied a heavy duty spring set which will be lower against the original OEM spec.

There are different springs for the car, you can identify them by the spots on them and the colour of them too....as an example the ones I have on mine have 5 violet spots on them.

Maybe you have got the wrong ones.

i have this issue too, same kyb springs. I guess I'll need to change them to audi too :(

Because the car is sitting on its ****, looks ridiculous. Even non car people comment on it

Low rider! Swap the fronts for some apex/ h&r springs and be happys :)

can we see it ? usually red dot springs for the TT/S3 sit 10-15mm lower. Whats the camber angle like ?

g545.jpg

that's the only decent side on pic i have of mine. The camber is indeed quite bad, noticable anyway. Dunno if i will fix it, more so because im unsure if i will keep it long enough

Glad to see i'm not the only one! The KYBs don't have any coloured dots on them sadly, no help there. Any ideas what the actual Audi OE spring part numbers are? Mine's genuinely low enough that i'd worry to stick lowering springs on the front wouldn't be enough. The wheels are much more negatively cambered than they should be, and being that low with stock shock absorbers can't be any good for them either?

I'm also not sure that their spring rate has been increased enough that the car won't just be sat on its bump stops when i load her up - i ride mountain bikes so spend a fair bit of time with bikes on the rack (towbar mounted of course).

Still have yet to hear back from CarfactorsUK, will give them a call on tuesday. Think i'm going to have to send them back and go for coilovers. Keeping an eye out for used Bilstein/KW/H&R coilovers, budget is about £500: Is there anything worth looking at new for that price? BC Racing coilovers look good for the money but can't seem to find anyone with an S3 who's shared their experience with them. Also looking at AP and V-Maxx, though others in my price range are FK, Apex, Vogtland, Pro-Sport, Spax, Tracer, PB, of those i can find.. though i assume that at least a few of those should be avoided.

I want a comfortable ride (almost stock ideally), with the ability to lower a little for the street and a bit more for the track. I also plan to fit wheel spacers. Unsure whether i'll need adjustable tie arms to compensate for a bit more camber. Adjustable damping to allow for stiffening for the track would be ideal really.