Best way to buy an 8v?

SockToy

Reaction score
So hi,

I'm new here. Never bought such a new car before , but very very excited about the prospect of an 8v.

I've looked at approved used, and compared to orangeprices or drivethedeal, it almost seems cheaper to spec my idea new; how much should I expect to get off the quoted second hand price?

Really, my mandatory equipment is hold assist, led lights, s-tronic, park front/rear/camera and BO sound.

I'd like comfort & tech pack with adaptive cruise control too, but less fussed.

Any advice for a noob? Alternative is probably an 8P, with aftermarket upgrades.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Matt

8% is about what you will get off through the brokers. Whether your local dealer will match that is another matter.

8% off second hand? Or you mean the broker new price?

One thing I would say is that the comfort pack does add a fair few nice upgrades for a pretty reasonable price. Although arguably in this day and age, all things in this pack should be as standard...

@Socktoy You can get 8% + off new through brokers (and most likely with a push through a dealer, which is what I did)

Welcome to the Forum Matt, I managed with a lot of haggling to get 8.8% from dealer.

Last edited:
we picked up a pre reg,it hadn't even been driven since delivery to dealer.it had 24miles on the clock and we got 15% and two years free servicing.went on drive the deal and orange wheels for some ideas of prices and took them to the dealers,but with such a saving we couldn't turn it down.

8% off second hand? Or you mean the broker new price?
8% off new. Some dealers will match that as a new price, others won't.

Given I wanted a 184 quattro, it made it as cheap to spec/buy the car I wanted with delivery mileage as get something that was a compromise with 3k+ miles on it.

This is really useful - thanks. Last question for now: any recommendations on dealer?

London based, but willing to travel for good long term service, customer focus, and, of course, price.

Can't fault Maidstone Audi in Kent but again depends what part of London you are in.

London based, but willing to travel for good long term service, customer focus, and, of course, price.

Kings Lynn Audi were very good when I visited them and they offered 8% on a new A3. In the end my local dealer matched that.

Eastbourne Audi offered me the most discount on my car, beat any internet broker at the time. Plus, when my delivery was delayed they gave me new £37k Q3 to drive around in...

+1 for Maidstone Audi our sales person was Sam she was always helpful and kept in touch with us.

Had great experiences from Lake District Audi and Preston Audi if you go to Preston ask for Raj gave me a great deal, was knowledgable, great communications throughout and has sorted a couple of post sales issues no problem, would highly recommend him.

Any north west dealers any good?

Macclesfield Audi were always highly rated.......but no idea about discounts.

I have used Warrington Audi a couple of times and had very patchy service. Last time really good, previously really bad - when nobody even calls you back. The fact you had to book in just to talk to a salesperson speaks volumes. I dont think they are short of potential customers.

Swindon Audi for me. Been to other dealers around, but Swindon had that personal feeling to it compared with others dealers close by. I dealt with Julian Barrett there. Excellent service. Will definitely go back there and see him for my next car.

Your deal could be based on the dealers available build slots, if you have a part exchange and you also have to consider how you want to pay for the car. As some other models get dealer/ audi contributions. However because this model is selling well you may not get any.

If a garage has limited slots they may want to hold onto that one as another potential customer maybe willing to pay more for it. So the garage ain't going to offer such a great deal. Where as If another one has a slot that is away to be locked they are going to be willing to negotiate more.

You may find that there could be physical cars already built to the spec. you want. Not putting a factory order maybe a better alternative. Plus you don't have to wait months for the car and have further depreciation on your car if your p/ex.

Some people may disagree. But this is what I have found out over the past 10 years from purchasing from a dealer instead of private. It pays to do your homework. I.e what your current car maybe worth, what brokers can get the car for (some dealers are not interested in this) plus also if you get one deal on paper don't get to excited you can walk away and see what others offer you then go back to your preferred dealer to see if they will price match or even better the deal. I ended up doing this recently and went for an extra option into which one garage said no and the other said yes. So again that could be another consideration.

Last edited:
Swindon Audi for me. Been to other dealers around, but Swindon had that personal feeling to it compared with others dealers close by. I dealt with Julian Barrett there. Excellent service. Will definitely go back there and see him for my next car.

Nobody could be bothered to come and talk to us at Swindon when we popped in. Very very poor customer service. I had heard good reports and wanted to see an Estoril Blue in the flesh. Stuck with Bristol who are pretty good IMHO.

what brokers can get the car for (some dealers are not interested in this)
Brokers tend to go to the fleet buyers in garages they have a good relationship with, so you end up getting fleet discount (or close to it as the commission for the broker has to come from somewhere), rather than what you can negotiate with the salesman in front of you.

So an update - very exciting. Finalised spec as ACQ71WEA. Got a few offers in hand from some very nice dealers - thanks for your recommendations. Milton Keynes, Macclesfield and Maidstone all seem good (the M's!)

Any good/bad experiences? Hopefully will place an order over the weekend.

Nobody could be bothered to come and talk to us at Swindon when we popped in. Very very poor customer service. I had heard good reports and wanted to see an Estoril Blue in the flesh. Stuck with Bristol who are pretty good IMHO.

I tried with Bristol but always had the 'shouldn't be there' feeling. Also wasn't impressed when a trip to the Makro over the road saw a multitude of new Audi's parked in their car park!. Wouldn't want my new car being parked in an unsecure location like that!.

I tried with Bristol but always had the 'shouldn't be there' feeling. Also wasn't impressed when a trip to the Makro over the road saw a multitude of new Audi's parked in their car park!. Wouldn't want my new car being parked in an unsecure location like that!.

As far as I know they only parked them their when they had the opening night in 2011. But agree not somewhere I would want my new car to stay in Makro for long even though mine was there!

Anthony Inman at whetstone audi north London matched orange wheels price over an email for me. Excellent service.

I have been to Daryl Nixon at Audi Manchester and he has looked after me both times I have bought from him.

The whole team in Manchester are great and more than happy to help out.