Noise on boost. 1.8t bex quattro

tom2

Reaction score
Hi,

I was driving on country lanes this afternoon and had my window down. I noticed that when the boost comes in there is a high frequency fluttering kind of noise (hard to explain) it sounds like air not a mechanical noise.

Ive noticed too that it no longer pulls hard until around 5krpm, no smoke from exhaust and oil is only 800miles old.

any thoughts?

thanks

If the flutter is when you lift off the throttle then it will be turbo flutter due to the dump valve possibly being faulty.

Maybe pinking, would look at maf and spark plugs. What fuel Are you running it on?

Only happens when accelerating hard, I usually run it on shell optimax as I have a fuel card from work, I did fill up on the cheapo tesco stuff when I got called out for work at 2am on Sunday, but it was an emergency so didn't have a choice really.

I had similar issue, put super unleaded in and it's fine now. Strange as I didn't think it would make that much difference. Might be something that simple, I'd Put some more optimax in and see if it cures it.

you should here a whistle when on boost with the window down. I'd check for fault codes and boost leaks if I were you.

I hate tesco fuel! used it once in my old civic and im sure it was the cause for my EML coming on because I got the code cleared, filled up elsewhere and the light never reappeared!

Could be faulty diverter valve, my mates octavia vrs did the same when booting it, he changed it to a forge recirc and fine now

Turned out to be a tiny split in a hose

All sorted now,

A lad at work told me to take it round to his dads, I turned up and a doddery old guy hobbled down the drive and it turns out he is a retired rally car mech and worked on the original 1980 quattro rally car, spent 3 hours looking at all his old photos etc then he started the car and got me to rev it while he listened, and within 5 seconds knew exactly what and where it was !! That was this morning and I'm still amazed, I ain't paying audis college drop outs another penny after seeing him !

Reactions: jimmcgee