1.9 tdi air snorkel

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I have a 1.9 tdi 115 b5 a4, remapped with various other mods. I've noticed more black smoke recently which I'm assuming is a clogged air filter as I'm due a service, anyway I was looking under the bonnet and saw how small the air snorkel to the air box is. Better airflow should mean better combustion, meaning less smoke and better performance no?

is the stock air snorkel capable enough for a remapped tdi or is it possibly causing a restriction? Would a pd130 air snorkel fit onto my 115 air box? Any help appreciated.

Good afternoon

I have a similar but b6 version of your car, so 1.9 engine and 130 bhp. From what I have read the airbox and intake is pretty good and fine for a remap, to ensure the car runs right you do need to make sure the joining parts are properly lined up and sealed otherwise unfiltered air could get in, or the air may not get measured correctly.
Not sure if this would apply but I fitted a 3 litre air snorkel to my car, it doesn't bottleneck but it does rub the timing belt cover, so I have cut it a little to fit.

Have you noticed any benefits or difference compared to the smaller snorkel?