Scratch free drying

Migwire

Reaction score
What's the best method of drying the car after washing which produces minimal scratching? On my old cars I've always used a chamois leather, but I'm reluctant to try it on my brand new monsoon grey A3.

Drying towel I'd guess, or if you don't want to touch it at all, maybe an air blower?

These days chamois seems to be as dirty a word as sponge and blade, so expect to be chastised by the detailing OCD'ers ;-)

As already said drying towel,pat dry not wipe it over. Air blowers are also getting use more and more, pet dog driers are a cheaper alternative!

I have a Aeolus pet dryer which I love to get the majority of the water off then a quick mist with quick detailer and dry with a drying towel :)

i use 2 towels top half for one other for bottom. draw the line at driers i can see the benefit but couldn't stand on my drive with one drying the car.

I use a good quality drying towel, applying as little pressure as possible. I can see the benefit of using a blow dryer, but thats further than I am willing to go personally. Def avoid a chamois. This is all futule however, if your washing stage isnt right - i.e. I hope you are not using a sponge for example..

Angelwax have just released a new product called Blue Rinsewhich has been designed to be the final step of your vehicle wash cycle. Water based spray on ,rinse off wax to aid with the rinsing , drying and the glossing finish of your vehicle. Amazing how it does it and you just rinse it off with free running water from the hose and watch it dry itself. And it does work.

Reactions: MrBones and Welshquattro
Maxolen Rinse Aid works brilliantly. Endlessly better than using a QD to help drying.

I use a good quality drying towel, applying as little pressure as possible. I can see the benefit of using a blow dryer, but thats further than I am willing to go personally. Def avoid a chamois. This is all futule however, if your washing stage isnt right - i.e. I hope you are not using a sponge for example..
As I've only had the car a week, and it's brand new, a quick application of snow foam brought it up nice and clean. It's next wash will be with a mitt and two buckets however.

Reactions: s3_trev
i use 2 towels top half for one other for bottom. draw the line at driers i can see the benefit but couldn't stand on my drive with one drying the car.

LOL!! My neighbours already think I'm some sort of lunatic when they see me applying endless layers of polish then buffing, sealant then buffing, wax then buffing, 2nd coat of wax then buffing. I dread to think what they'd think if they saw me going round the car 'blowing water off' but then what do they know!

you guys need to buy a water DI vessel off me :)

wash your car as normal, rinse, then walk away and you will have a spotless car every time. No need to dry and therefore no swirls or scratches :)

if we could get a group buy set up i could do them at £100 each and they will last you for at least a year. Then when they need recharged post it back to me and its £40 to get it recharged.

Thanks
Jamie

Get yourself a Large, by large I mean those 3ft by 2 ft deep pile microfibre towels, they're only about £7-8 and dries the car extremely well. I have a Metro Air force blaster as well, on the odd occasion I would use it mainly to dry my twin spoke alloys, which are a pain to dry! it's also great for blow drying the tire walls should you wish to apply tire dressing.

The liquid drying aid method like from Anglewax and the likes sounds interesting

I use a main powered pump for an air bed for around my mirrors and number plate and grill ect but a decent drying towel my brother in law got as an Xmas present. Really good though

Do people still use lube or detailer spray before drying on a towel? I know the steps have evolved into blow dry but not everyone can afford a £250 + machine.

Do people still use lube or detailer spray before drying on a towel? I know the steps have evolved into blow dry but not everyone can afford a £250 + machine.

My Aeolus Blower above was £80 and I would happy pay double that as its the best £80 I have ever spent!!!!!!!!!

Saves me so much time its unreal!