S3 Haldex Promblems

Grant-s3

Nogaro Blue
Reaction score
Put my 2008 S3 in for a Haldex service on Saturday morning with VW branch. On the drive home there was a loud buzz/whine coming from the rear. Then went away and now it's a steady whine, not as loud but still noticeable. Around 35-40 mph it happens when I very lightly touch the pedal. They changed it again today, still doing it. Going back tomorrow to have it looked at buy there master tech. Any ideas what this is ?

It's sorted, the dealer got the Haldex and diff mixed up, drained the diff and filled it with Haldex oil. Drove it for 120 miles thinking it was an electrical buzz, It was the diff bearings and cogs slowly dieing. The dealer finally owned uo to there mistake after I explained what they has done and showed them. Getting taken out this Monday and new diff, there paying for everything! Down side is I'm going from a 300hp S3 to a 59hp Volkswagen UP for a week !!

At least they're sorting it! Your car will feel proper quick after a week in an Up!

Bit embarrassing that it took a panel beater (me) to show the VW master tech the difference between a Haldex and a Diff. Specially when the have Auto data system showing them the plugs to remove if there not too sure. Yeah the Audi will feel like a veyron once I get back in it.

Why am I not surprised you know more than a master tech....! When you think of the labour rates these guys charge it's a f*****g travesty isn't it! I'd love to go on a master tech course, probably teaches them how to hook up and read the diagnostics computer and what the tools in the toolbox are. Last week they were probably working at Peugeot.

Master techs my ****!

I might get that made up on a T-Shirt for when I go and pick up my new car in May as they won't ever be touching it as long as I own it. Just want to make sure they really get the message!

Reactions: s3_trev
Did any of you guys read that the OP took his Audi into a VW garage?

So a VW Master Tech may have not been totally familiar with an Audi drive train (although they are similar) !!

I have to say that while there seem to be a lot of muppets out there, I am on friendly terms with the Master Tech at my local Audi dealer, and his knowledge is worth his weight in gold, maybe he's one of the rare nuggets. Spends time diagnosing faults properly etc.

Did any of you guys read that the OP took his Audi into a VW garage?

So a VW Master Tech may have not been totally familiar with an Audi drive train (although they are similar) !!

I have to say that while there seem to be a lot of muppets out there, I am on friendly terms with the Master Tech at my local Audi dealer, and his knowledge is worth his weight in gold, maybe he's one of the rare nuggets. Spends time diagnosing faults properly etc.

Haldex /4motion on a Golf and A3 are the same. If we'd been talking about a Quattro (eg longitudinal) I would have given more latitude

Reactions: kanecullen89