Oil pump & drive replacement

gippa

Reaction score
Hi All, is there a 'how to' on the oil pump and drive replacement anywhere on the forum?

kind regards

Dave

:arco:

First you need to find out what you want to do,take out balance shaft pump and replace with old alh pump or get a remanufactured gear driven pump or just replace what is there with a remanufactured sprocket and chain affair.

hi, ive purchased a new oil pump and drive from my local TPS centre.
i just need a procedure to follow now.

regards

Dave

You need to get the sump off and to do that I think you need to drop the sub frame,also there is two bolts in between the sump and flywheel and there is a gap in the fly wheel so turn it until the gap comes around.
Once the sump is off screw a 3mm or 4mm bolt (can't remember) into the oil pump drive take the circlip out and pull the drive out.
Then undo the bolts that hold the pump on and take off.
You will need some dirko silicone for sealing the sump.
Just from memory,is this a gear driven one or chain?
Take a good look at everything for wear including the hex hole that the shaft locates into

Hi if you get intouch with local Audi dealer they will be happy to help with the procedures or they are easy to find in the haynes manual. Stevegrass777 has got it just about right but it depends on if its a manual or auto as the autos are more complex job to do. Also this job can be made alot easier if the front panel is removed to gain more access. if your car is newer than 2007 it should be the chain driven pump & personally I would be changing the pump & the Hex shaft drive. hope this helps

Hi if you get intouch with local Audi dealer they will be happy to help with the procedures or they are easy to find in the haynes manual. Stevegrass777 has got it just about right but it depends on if its a manual or auto as the autos are more complex job to do. Also this job can be made alot easier if the front panel is removed to gain more access. if your car is newer than 2007 it should be the chain driven pump & personally I would be changing the pump & the Hex shaft drive. hope this helps

The year of concern is 2006. Its also the balance shaft which drives the oil pump on all the engines (irrespective of the year on the B7 models). This balance shaft is driven via a chain on the early engines and gear driven on the post 2006 engines.Your post should therefore read on cars generally newer than 2006 the oil pumps are driven by a hex key off a balance shaft that is itself gear driven. On these later engines its the hex shaft which rounds off and stops driving the oil pumps that causes the loss of oil pressure and engine failure if not caught in time.
Hope this correction helps. Only sure way to find out is to drop the sump and have a look , bit of a ****** really !

It took be about 12 hours to do a alh oil pump conversion on my 2007 B7. I managed to do it without taking the subframe off but to jack the engine up. Slight pain but can be done on a ramp. Cambelt off and front end off completely. Order yourself a new front main oil seal. Also my pump was gear driven and the gear was a pain to removed. Have a look at the other thread I made on how to get it off. There are a few other things you need. Like Windage tray a 90 degree drill, tap and die set and drill bits as well as other stuff. I would not attempt this without a ramp to be honest. Another thing is you need to modify the oil pick up pipe.

Blb bkp 2005 onwards have bad oil pump set ups,balancer shaft originally was driven by chain and that was a problem,also the later gear driven ones have a problem with the hex oil pump drive,although the chain driven ones still have this problem.
Either way most of the 2 liter TDI vw/Audi engines have some sort of problem with the balencer shaft oil pumps.