2.0 tdi oil pump / balancer shaft / hex drive replacement

kev1983

Reaction score
Hi guys, i've got a 2006 A4 avant tdi S-line with the 2.0 BRE engine. The oil pressure warning light came on yesterday but then went off as soon as the car was idling. I've read all the horror stories about these things failing. Is there an easy way to tell if the hex shaft has rounded? Is there a video anywhere showing how to take the ****** thing apart and replace it?

I've seen the kits for sale from Powermax and KMB etc, any feedback on them?

Cheers - any help appreciated

Hi guys, i've got a 2006 A4 avant tdi S-line with the 2.0 BRE engine. The oil pressure warning light came on yesterday but then went off as soon as the car was idling. I've read all the horror stories about these things failing. Is there an easy way to tell if the hex shaft has rounded? Is there a video anywhere showing how to take the ****** thing apart and replace it?

I've seen the kits for sale from Powermax and KMB etc, any feedback on them?

Cheers - any help appreciated

it,s not a small job-unless you are quite handy with the spanners it is a garage jobby!

yeah that's the impression i'm getting from every post i've read so far.
If i put the car to the local audi garage, is there any way they can tell if the pump isn't working other than running the car until it goes bang?

Bets bet is to connect up an oil pressure gauge to check the actual reading, the dash light only comes on when the pressure is really low, around 0.2 bar apparently. Ask your local garage to check it for you, they should have the gear

Personally I wouldn't run it again,get the sump taken off and take the oil pump off before it goes wrong.
You will find something wrong I am sure,don't take it to the main dealers as they will rip you off,
Get it towed to the garage or trailered, it will only cost a couple of hours labour to take the sump off.

Bets bet is to connect up an oil pressure gauge to check the actual reading, the dash light only comes on when the pressure is really low, around 0.2 bar apparently. Ask your local garage to check it for you, they should have the gear

Any idea what the oil pressure should be in a healthy engine?

Any idea what the oil pressure should be in a healthy engine?
Off memory its a minimum of 1 bar on hot tickover but cold it is far higher than that mines about 3 or 4 bar on cold start up.
@2000 rpm a minimum of 2 bar with hot oil.
I have a oil pressure gauge in mine and hot tick over is 1.1 bar but it has quite thin oil in and I am happy with that @2000 rpm mine is easily above 2 bar and the gauge is very constant and not jumping all over the place,when I rev it a little the pressure moves up as should be.