Audi A3 (2005) - accessing washer/wiper motor!

MJR

Reaction score
Hello forum, ive got an Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sportback (2005) my rear wiper and washer doesnt work, ive ordered a new motor to replace the old one thinking its more than likely the old one has died, im not sure if it could be a fuse or if the actual part as died, but i assume its the part, however i dont know were to find the fuse anyway?, so i want to gain access to the motor to change it so im looking for a step by step guide on how to do this, ive tried to wing it but after removing screws the panel still remains tough to remove and obviously i dont want to cause any damage, any help or advice would be golden, thanks in advance!

Thanks for helping, I'm going to give the new part to the garage to fit instead, i think i might break something if i try to do it myself.

Yeh I've heard the bootlid panel can be a ****** getting off and you're welcome mate :beerchug:

Well the new motor arrived today and me being me, i just couldn't wait so i had another go, this time i managed to take the boot panel off which exposed the wiper motor, Ive un-done all 3 bolts which was holding the wiper motor on and disconnected the electric, it was all looking good until i tried to remove the wiper arm, i un-did the bolt following the instructions in that link you posted but the dam thing still wouldn't come off, i need a puller, so Ive ordered one from flea bay now, only £10 should be here Tuesday, im a bit worried about using it though because the wiper arm is attached to the glass, hopefully it will just pop off and i can get on with it without any breakage - (fingers crossed)

It would be worth leaving some wd40 on the nut and thread to soak in as well for when you have another go when the puller comes

It would be worth leaving some wd40 on the nut and thread to soak in as well for when you have another go when the puller comes

Thanks Phil, i soaked it yesterday with WD40 to remove the nut, once removed i then soaked the metal which is under the nut for about 5 mins to loosen up any debris that might be keeping it in place, im hopeful that this will make it easy to remove the arm when i try the puller.

When I finally get round to dewipering mine il be using a ball joint separator worked wonders on my mates 106 gti!

I did look at the ball joint separators as they are similar to a puller, but the proper puller tool turned out to be cheaper, only £9 from flea bay so i ordered that instead ;)

A trick for the front is to pour really hot water over the spindles and something magic happens and allows you to wiggle the arms off, but the back being through the glass, if you can protect the glass somehow.

I also had the joint splitter on the fronts and that would not budge until i used hot water

Ok i gave up, lol, i tried with a puller and failed, so i took it to the garage, they also tried a puller but also failed, next option was to cut it off, so i gave the ok and off it came, (i wasn't charged for cutting), a new arm has now been ordered and i will pick it up later today, £40.00.

Ive fitted the new wiper motor and tested it, its working but it is a bit loud, I'm thinking maybe it needs to be used a few times to break it in, i hope I'm right anyway, so all in all it cost me £45.99 for a new motor, £9 for a useless puller and £40 for a new wiper arm, total cost = £94.99, I'm fitting everything myself so I've saved a few more quid, but what a nightmare its been, nothing is ever straight forward is it.

No, i was wrong, I'm not having good luck with this at all, the wiper motor i installed doesn't work as it should, for starters the nozzle snapped off as it was put through the whole, a sure sign of an inferior product, i managed to get it back on with some super glue, but once installed another problem accrued, it seems to make loud noises when in operation and doesn't seem to have the power to adequately push the wiper arm properly, the motor even tries to move or make horrible noise when its supposed to be off, i bought the motor from flea bay, it was from a seller from Poland, it was half the price of what i expected to pay so seemed like a great deal, it was advertised as new but on close inspection it was obviously 2nd hand as it had some dirt marks and light scratches on it, i spoke to the seller and guess what, they just ignored everything i said and just blamed me for it being defective and refused to refund me, i have opened a case against them but now i need a new rear wiper motor again, im not happy as its going to cost me again but it is what it is, so if any of you are looking for a good deal for a wiper motor stay away from this advert!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/190704728406

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a proper rear wiper motor part that will fit my Audi A3 (2005) please, at this point i don't care what it costs i just want it sorted!

Can you get one from a TPS parts agent or try eurocar parts or GSF kind of out let ?

^^ thanks Phil^^ ive been told by my local spares shop that euro parts only deal with trade, so ill keep looking!

As above, euro car parts deal with anyone, and are normally very helpful, at least they are at the one near me.

TPS is supposed to be trade only, however it is known some branches/staff will do cash sales for the public without any hassle.

Ah ok thanks guys, maybe my local spares shop couldn't make any cash from the sale if i went through them so told me it wasn't possible for public (me) to get them, bit weird, ill remember that, ill try them later, thanks again!

Ok, i rang Euro parts and gave them my reg, you were right guys they do deal with anyone, so my local spares shop is now on my **** list and wont be getting a crimbo card from me, anyway Euro parts supplied me the part i needed and i fitted it, finally all is now working as it should, I'm happy now, thanks for all the advice and help guys i really appreciate it ;)