Cluster upgrade

Danielb3

Reaction score
Hi I've just bought a 2002 A3 130 PD and it has a few problems with the instrument cluster. It has a few dead pixels, the temperature gauge doesn't work (jumps in three steps from cold to hot when tested with VCDS) it just sits at the bottom and then jumps up every now and again and I have two readouts for engine speed :think:, the speedo just acts as a rev gauge until the car is warm then it sometimes works. I thought this would be a good opportunity to upgrade the cluster rather than just swapping it. I would like MPG readout but im not sure what clusters I can use. It currently has a 8L0 920 950 D. Coding isn't an issue I have VCDS and a friend has VAGTACHO.
Thanks,
Dan

As a rule of thumb, I tend to replace parts with the same part number especially things like clusters.

From on reading a few threads after a brief search, it appears it is possible to fit clusters from other A3's but seems a good idea to stick to the same year due to immobiliser differences.

There are a few repair places that fix clusters too.

Re the mpg readout upgrade, that's a feature of the stalk so you will need to upgrade that and then do some coding with VCDS, as long as you have the one piece screen that your 2002 model should have?

I think you can do that on the A3 anyway, I remember getting full DIS on my A4 with a stalk change, and I also upgraded my old A3 TDI quattro to cruise control with a stalk change and a few wires. Not sure if you need a wiring loom too for the TDI models too though.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply. My clocks have half screen and half warning lights. It's not as easy as the mk4 golf then. We've just swapped a friends cluster in his gti from half screen immo3 to bora sport clocks with full screen but on the mk4 even with half screen there is still an mpg readout. I just presumed that with the A3 would be similar. Stalks aren't a problem either I've already bought them just need to fit them, anyone know off hand what size spline tool I'll need for the steering wheel? Also it seems cheaper to just replace than to repair tbh.
Thanks
Dan

I have the same problem with my LCD cluster the pixels have gone and I cant read the screen barely also my temperature gauge jumps up and kicks the fan in every now and then is the cluster easy to replace and will it lose its coding if I replace this my self ?