Clutch kit....should I replace flywheel on petrol engine

Molnboman

Reaction score
Dumb question I know....but planning on a full belt service on my 2.0t and thought I would replace the clutch kit while I am in there, although there is plenty of meat left on it. Now, should I be ordering a flywheel replacement at the same time, or just the clutch kit? Is it advisable to do it anyway?

Please advise,

Cheers
A

Last edited:
what belts are you doing and why waste whats left on the clutch?

Think i would smoke the clutch and then replace the lot. No point changing it unless you demand more from the clutch i.e performance upgrades. Its well within its limits.

If your gonna change it Myself and GNJ Motorsport have a group buy on the Loba/Sachs clutch kit including SMF. Have a look on the 8P section for the thread and links to buy one. Big savings to be had too.

Thanks for the replies....

Mike...am doing the timing belt / water pump.

Craig...I have the MTM remap on at the moment. The clutch is grand with plenty of bite....but if I am doing the belts am thinking I might as well go the full monty....though at 455 quid for clutch and flywheel am inclined to ask the initial question first natch.

Brodster...Cheers I will check it out.

Thanks for the replies....

Mike...am doing the timing belt / water pump.

Craig...I have the MTM remap on at the moment. The clutch is grand with plenty of bite....but if I am doing the belts am thinking I might as well go the full monty....though at 455 quid for clutch and flywheel am inclined to ask the initial question first natch.

Brodster...Cheers I will check it out.

When i did mine, i chose the southbend DXD stage 3 clutch, with the southbend singlemass flywheel (APR) Will happily handle 475 ft/lbs of torque and at a £1000 it was a little extreme. It suits my needs in everyway. But I guess youve gotta ask yourself how far you want to go. If your not planning on exceeding the dual mass torque ratings then maybe just something that suits ur mtm stage 1?

I have no plans ( Neither does my overdraft ) to go to your extent Matey.hehe...maybe a non res exhaust later this year, new turbo / intercooler maybe to push it up to 300bhp would be my limits Mate. Garage labour charges are chronic up here, so my thinking is doing it all in a oner rather than doing the clutch in 9 months time.....if you get my drift......but if the general opinion is drive it till the clutch dies then my wallet would appreciate it, and I will just do the belts and water pump for now.

BR
A

Reactions: Craig Cull
I have no plans ( Neither does my overdraft ) to go to your extent Matey.hehe...maybe a non res exhaust later this year, new turbo / intercooler maybe to push it up to 300bhp would be my limits Mate. Garage labour charges are chronic up here, so my thinking is doing it all in a oner rather than doing the clutch in 9 months time.....if you get my drift......but if the general opinion is drive it till the clutch dies then my wallet would appreciate it, and I will just do the belts and water pump for now.

BR
A

Drive it till it dies then mate :)
If it aint broke, dont fix it, just keep an eye on it and watch out for any slipping. Mine had 100k on it and still loads left. I knew my plans would obliterate it so saved the hassle. :)

Wee update, went for a full belt, all filters and plug change as the old Bus has hit 134k Miles now. Went for Gates cambelt, pump, v belt and new tensioner kits all round. Must say it, certainly feels a bit tighter and hell of a lot quieter in the engine department! Funny, checked all the old air and cabin filters which I changed in August 2012 and they looked fresh as f#ck! Must be all this Swedenshire fresh air up here!

Thought I had fixed the seat airbag warning light, but it's back on again when I parked my **** on the passenger seat!...Arrgghhhh. Managed to fit Tr8ups fog light lamps though......Oh nice, crispy white glow now on the auto position on opening the car....Lovely.

Cheers
A

IMG 20140124 201028

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76