Any consequence to using a non stretch bolt for one of the dogbone bolts?

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
I have already done this, but thought I'd check while I remember.

I bought new bolts for when I replaced my dogbone bush with a red powerflex item. I tightened to the torque setting I found on one of the forums, 40nm (for the two different length bolts) and then a quarter turn. I didn't quite reach a quarter on one of them when I felt that horrible feeling of the bolt threading the hole and going loose again.

When I removed it again, it brought some of the thread out with it. I did manage to find a slightly longer bolt which I have now replaced it with as it managed to find enough thread for me to torque it to 40nm.

Should I just leave it now and forget about it, or should I expect issues?

How long is a piece of string. I would give it a week or so and check it's still tight at 40Nm . If so you are probably good.

Karl.

torque angle on old gear is flawed imho (unless head bolts) as the threads are so often corroded and the dogbone stuff corrodes like a mofo from galvanic corrosion... steel bolt, ally housing etc...

"feel" overrides factory torque angle for me.

Choose a 10:9 grade bolt but if the captice nut bits damaged you will struggle to get it tight :(

torque angle on old gear is flawed imho (unless head bolts) as the threads are so often corroded and the dogbone stuff corrodes like a mofo from galvanic corrosion... steel bolt, ally housing etc...

"feel" overrides factory torque angle for me.

Choose a 10:9 grade bolt but if the captice nut bits damaged you will struggle to get it tight :(

Checked this a week or two ago and it was OK. I am going to check again this weekend as it's now been about a month so if it's still tight I will stop worrying about it.

Re: steel bolts/ally housing, had this on a set of Brembos once. The bolt welded to the caliper and the whole thing ended up having to be helicoiled!