Thermostat?

bouncer117

Reaction score
hi next problem to sort out.

the temp gauge on the dash is saying under 60 degrees but when i lift the bonnet the engine is cooking, does this mean the thermostat is shot?

Could be a failed coolant temp. sensor. Replace with a genuine one. Cheap copies are known to fail.

would that sensor have anything to do with the control of the radiator fan? as ive never heard it running

Its a long time since I've been under the bonnet on a B5. I think the rad fans suffer with controller failure. Change the sensor first and go from there. You could try scanning the car for faults. Look for a member in your area with VCDS.

i had it scanned a couple of months ago n the only thing that came up was that there is a problem with the intake manifold valve nothing came up for the cooling system.
ill change the sensor you said and see if it makes a difference and go from there.
thanks for your help

Most of the time its a stat failure rather than sensor.

If you have climate control you can view the temp reading live and see whats going on before you start changing any parts.

no climate control. i was at audi earlier picking up a sleeve for the new abs sensor and asked the guy there what he thought it might be and he also said the thermostat so ill test it 1st. i need to change the coolant anyway so ill give it a go and see what happens

thanks for helping

Mine had a duff coolant temp sensor, started off showing random readings, then just failed all together. New sensor from audi wasnt much (£25ish including clip and O ring IIRC), took 30seconds to fit, and solved that. I do still have a duff thermostat as it never gets above 70-80degrees AND the oil doesnt get hot - bouth the stat, which was about £10 from audi. You need an O ring too to seal the thermostat housing to the block. A job I intend doing in the next few weeks.

The oil and temp gauges are on seperate sensors, so if one is getting up to temp OK and the other not, then Id suspect sensor, if both are low then thermostat.