1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2019 S3 Tyre choice

oxford_ara_S3 Nov 17, 2020

1. oxford_ara_S3

oxford_ara_S3 Registered User

Hi everyone

What tyres are people running on their S3’s? I want to change the factory P Zeros soon and just wandering what to go for...

thanks

David

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

MP4S .

Leevr likes this.
  4. CanadaA3wales

CanadaA3wales Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP

I dont have a S3 but lots of people are going for Pilot sports on here.
    Each person has their own fav's and are loyal to certain brands though

5. george forbes

george forbes Registered User

Goodyear F1 supersports

6. craigpanthercrystal

craigpanthercrystal Registered User

I went to p zero ro2. Well happy

7. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Registered User

8. craigpanthercrystal

craigpanthercrystal Registered User

Will be 235 35 19 or 225 40 18

9. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Registered User

Michelin PS4S installed coming from P Zero and very happy. Seem excellent in the wet.

Leevr likes this.
  10. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Registered User

I don’t have an S3 but Michelin Pilot Sports are the best tyres you can get. Price reflects that though.

Hankook is the standard tyre supplier for Audi now and I was really impressed by the ones that were supplied new ones my A4. So much so that when the time came, I replaced them with another set.

11. Potterswheel

Potterswheel Active Member Gold Supporter

Does anyone have the exact description of the Michelin Pilot sport 4 as fitted to the S3 ???

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. pburv

pburv Registered User

14. Potterswheel

No, thanks for the response but just to be clear there can be a whole load of letters and numbers after the size on tyres, and for example the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 's I had on my last A3 2.0 L Quattro sport were 225/45 ZR17 (94Y)
    Tyre manufacturers can make tyres specifically for a manufacturer and I think as OE for Porsche they have an N in the code, I have heard you can get in to trouble with insurance if you don't fit N's to a Porsche.
    Did Audi fit Pilot sport 4's to the S3 as original equipment ? and if so can someone read me the code please?
    I have a particular reason that I have to order the correct tyres.
    If I had a criticism of the Pilot Sport 4's I would say that they were a bit on the noisy side, so to call them Acoustic seems a bit odd!

15. pburv

pburv Registered User

I think you need to provide more info then.. What year S3 and what spec ie saloon/hatchback or three door also what rim size. Audi chop and change their tyres quite often from the factory. My November 2015 saloon came with Continentals contact 5 on 19" rims. Hopefully someone will come along with the correct info for you.:thumbs up:
    ps
    This is info from Audi themselves which says what I quoted regarding letters 'AO'.
    https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/...NeY--VqjJXWFUa0Q-xvNj_ODITqdfYHBoCSBQQAvD_BwE

16. Potterswheel

Tyre size.jpg

17. Potterswheel

Thanks, this is exactly why I ask, I can only order the tyre size/code as fitted by the manufacturer as OE, for info my car is a 2017 s3 saloon currently fitted with Pirelli 235/35 19's.
    I know this is a bit anal but it's where I find myself.

pburv likes this.
  18. pburv

pburv Registered User

19. pburv

pburv Registered User

20. Potterswheel

Great, thanks for that - they recommend 235 / 35 ZR (91Y) XL for my car, and I notice they also list the AO in 245's - must have listened to Audi about the noise as they state that the AO is homologated by Audi!!!!

pburv likes this.
  21. pburv

pburv Registered User

Got there in the end. lol:thumbs up:

22. John Pilkington

John Pilkington Registered User

2019 fl s3 came with hankooks

pburv likes this.
  23. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

I’ve run 235 PZeros on x 2 S3 and an RS3. Good tyre, why do you want to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. rafletcher

rafletcher Registered User

If you're wanting the original fit, search for the tyre description containing "AO" - for "Audi Original". But in truth all modern tyres do a good job - I generally select mine (especially on an S3 with 19" rims) from those with the lowest noise rating and decent grip figures.

pburv likes this.
  25. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

With big rims and or diamond cut I prefer tyres with decent rim protectors like the P Zero AO

26. rafletcher

rafletcher Registered User

I know people put a lot of store in the so-called rim protection. My car is currently running some soon-to-be-changed AO P-Zeros. Would you like to see the rim damage to my nearside front rim, caused by turning the wheel away from the kerb to U-turn whilst parked and moving off? The rim protection was ripped off the tyre for a couple of inches, and my rim badly marked.

Much better not to run into kerbs (as I told myself at the time!) than rely on rim protection which may well be found inadequate.

Bells and pburv like this.
  27. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Registered User

Well yes clearly but the Rim protection afforded by PZero is pretty good and far better than not having any IMHO.

28. Bells

Bells Registered User

I’d not bother with PZeros again personally, don’t think the grip is that good compared to Michelin PS4’s and I also went through 2 front tyres in 6 months due to bulges in the sidewall. Read a few posts online about them having weak sidewalls so I guess that’s true. Might just have been bad luck but it’s never happened to me before with any other tyres!

Only positive for me was the rim protection.

pburv likes this.
  29. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Premium Summer Tyres.....
    "Placebo effect"....the only way you'll ever define one from the other is by pushing them to the limit...such are the small differences between them

pburv likes this.