2011 2.0l DTI Automatic start/stop: system fault! Function unavailable

SRRAE

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week we got a A3 Sportsback for my wife. Its a great car, very smooth, very responsive and does great MPG, way more than my A4 which has almost exact engine spec.

Anyway, when we test drove the car the message Automatic start/stop: system fault! Function unavailable appears on the DIS as soon as you start the engine. When we test drove it, it appeared and I commented it to the car sales, he said that its been standing for a week or so, so the battery may need charging.
My thoughts are that its possible but I doubt it would throw an error, more it would just not activate if that was the cause.

Anyway after a week of my wife driving 70 miles a day, the message still turns on as soon as the engine starts.

The car was going in for a cam belt change as part of the purchase and I asked them to look at the error. When I picked it up they said they didn't notice the error, (strange as it appears every time I start the engine) but then started to say its because its cold, because its winter etc. I said it is possible cold weather would stop it from actually activating but it shouldn't throw up and error saying SYSTEM FAULT! They are just fobbing me off now.

I've searched online and the forum and there are lots of people who have reported this but no-one has ever seemed to report what the fault was or what the fix was.

Is this a common problem? Whats the best way of diagnosing it? Any software you can use the car's diagport which can run diagnostics on that?

They seem to take you for a fool here. When Start/Stop is not available (seat belt not being used, battery voltage not enough, coolant temperature not hot enough, heating turned on but car still cold, etc) you just get Start/Stop logo crossed out on DIS (obviously without SYSTEM FAULT message).

You have many options to do OBD diagnosis of the vehicle, Carista app with OBD2 adapter and VCDS being the most common ones.
Check this to see if there are any members with VCDS in your area.

If the problem is there when you start the car why didn't you just show them the problem when you picked it back up from them when they done the cam belt rather than just taken there word that problem was solved , best take back to place where you bought it and explain about the light coming on when you try to start especizlly if it is under warranty rather than playing with the Vcd's if your not sure what your doing with it

My son bought a newish 2nd hand car recently and the SS was deactivated as the battery was at around 60% charge with the car having stood on the forecourt for a few weeks. We charged the battery to full and it remained deactivated. We disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then connected again and it worked perfectly.

The real problem here is that @SRRAE 's car is throwing a system fault instead of the usual SS disabled message. I'd do VCDS checks and hope it's not neutral position sensor that is causing this.