2009 onwards - A3 1.4 TFSi v 1.8 TFSi (tight budget)

50Five

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently driving a 2006 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi S-line 140 which I have had for the last 4 years or so, it was only bought as a workhorse so it has never excited me at any stage of the game. Before that I was driving a 2004 A4 1.8T S-line (190 - stage 1 remap to 240bhp), that was a great car and only moved on for work purposes. Now, due to Edinburgh introducing a Low Emission Zone in May of 2022 I need something, well ULEZ compliant. I just today lost out on a A3 1.4 TFSi with 70k on the clock, full service history and great MOT history, plus a £500 head unit, heated seat and the rest - was advertised at £4995. My budget is tight, really 5k but could push that to 6k if I had to. I know the car is going to be 10-12 years old but I just can't afford anything new. I am, as everyone is looking for as high a spec as possible which as I am aware is really luck of the draw. I will be mainly city driving but might do the odd run to London as my girlfriends family is from there. I loved my A4 1.8t S-line (190) but realise the engines are different now.

So I am hoping some of you can give me your insight from driving one, the other or both, preferably the S-line. I want a fun car, a joy to drive and a bit of punch when needs be. I would be keeping my car if it wasn't for the LEZ coming into play for purely financial reasons BUT it is what it is and I don't fancy £60 tickets every other day sine I live just on the edge of the zone. Or to be driving. Honda Jazz because it's functional, reliable and great MPG (DULL)!!

Also, I am trying the usual places to find cars such as Auto Trader, Gumtree & EBAY. I stumbled upon Exchange & Mart which reminds me of my childhood but I would appreciate any advice on other places to look.

One last thing before I forget, would you prefer to go for an older car with low miles & a good history or a newer car with higher miles and less history?

Many thanks in advance for reading,
J