2006 Audi A4 quattro died while driving and now the engine wont turn over? Help!!!

gentz

Reaction score
So i was driving home last night. Going about 70mph in 6th gear and the car just turned off. Didnt hear anything out of the ordinary just felt like the car lost power. Pulled off to the side of the road and tried to restart and the motor wont crank. Battery is new and all electronics seem to be working. Engine light came on with p0012 code saying camshaft timing over advanced. Timing belt is holding tension and looks to be in good shape. Could this be something simple or is the motor screwed? Please help!!

The timing belt may have jumped a few teeth. I wouldn't try and start it again till you have confirmed that the timing is spot on and timed correctly.
How many miles has the car done and when was the cambelt last changed.

Karl.

The described fault code states:

16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle

Possible Causes
Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty

The only thing I can maybe say is that your car maybe has low oil pressure and caused something to happen to the tensioner or chain at the rear of the motor. Especially if the car is not kept on regular services and the correct oil these things can happen. Thou dont hold me to that. But I have heard of bad cases of the tensioner going or the chain snapping etc.

I just bought the car a couple days ago. From what i was told the timing belt was done less than a year ago. 130K on the car. With the motor not turning over is there a pretty good chance of it being toast? Didnt have any other codes come up. All the fluids looked good. No oil light. Just praying the motor isnt blown.

Iv just rebuilt mine as the balance shaft seized and snapped the oil pump chain and then in turn destroyed the top end and turbo