2006 3.0tdi fault code help please

dt-tdi

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all
I bought my 3.0tdi A4 on Saturday from Newcastle upon tyne and on the way home the engine emissions light came on so I backed the speed right off and just tickled the throttle to get me home however there was no loss of power during the rest of my trip but I didn't want to take the risk of maintaining high revs for a long period.
I scanned the car when I got home using a version 607 of Vagcom and it showed the following fault codes:
Address 01: Engine
Part No SW: 8E0 910401 N HW: 8E0 907 401 AL
Component: TDI G000AG
Coding: 1619251
Shop #: WSC 22070
3 Faults Found:004120 - Intake ManifoldRunner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached
P1018 -001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
FreezeFrame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority:
Fault Frequency: 151
Mileage: 55631 km
Time Indication
FreezeFrame:
RPM: 756 /min
Torque: 101.4 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.21 V
Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
Duty Cycle: 88.8 %
Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
005661 - Glowplug forCylinder 4 (Q13): Open Circuit
P161D -001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
FreezeFrame:Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 60059 km
Time Indical
FreezeFrame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Duty Cycle: 1.0 %
Voltage: 11.70 V
Duty Cycle: 15.0 %
Temperature: 14.4°C
000565 - BoostPressure: Regulation Range not Reached
P0235 -001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
FreezeFrame:
Fault Status: 00110001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 64550 km
Time Indication: 0
FreezeFrame:
RPM: 2058 /min
Torque: 237.9 Nm
Speed: 121.0 km/h
Absolute Pres.: 2131.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1785.0 mbar
(no units): 0.0
Ign. Timing: 2.5 °BTDC

Readiness: N/A

I then cleared the codes and re-scanned and they all cleared for the time being.
Has anyone experienced the same issues at all please?
Any suggestions or recommendations would bbe most welcome.
Many thanks in advance.
Dave

Welcome to Audi sport not a good start to the ownership of a new car did you buy it from a dealer or private ?.
Anyway you have 3 different codes there, the first one is one of the most common problems on the 2.7- 3.0 V6 TDI. Can be relatively cheap to fix if just the swirl flap arms are changed and this resolves it.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a6-s6-...els-swirl-flap-arm-butterfly-repair-kits.html

You can get kits to replace the rubber bushes and the actual swirl flap shafts, fortunately this is not like BMW diesel engines where the swirl flaps drop off and get ingested by the engine wrecking it. On the Audi the swirl flap is driven by a servo motor and play in the mechanism means the shaft may be reported as being a few % away from where it should be this pops a code. But that code was first posted at 55300 KM.
The second code is a duff glow plug, my car had a duff plug when I bought it took about 15 minutes to change and cost £13 for a genuine plug. That was first reported at 60059 KM. I think cylinder 4 is one of the difficult ones to get at though at the back of the engine. Still not a major job.
The third code relates to an overboost fault at 64550KM which I suspect will be the one that caused the CEL .
As that was recorded at 120 KM/h about 75 MPH and you were on the motorway and it was a new car were you trying out the performance ?
The mileage looks really low on the car the ECU seems to think 40 odd thousand miles. If so It's probably the VNT mechanism sticking on the turbo causing the overboost. An Italian tune up getting it nice and hot can help to clean up the carbon if it's been driven really conservatively. Problem is that it may keep throwing a CEL when you try that depends how bad it is. As you have VCDS you could do some logging of specified and actual boost and see whats going on .

Karl.

Hi Karl
Thankyou very much for the useful info that you have provided.
I bought the car because of its condition and low mileage (just turned 40k miles) privately from Newcastle.
The first indication I got was the glow plug light flashing while I was doing a steady 80mph, I stopped at the next services for a coffee and a bit of head scratching and when I started the engine again after around 20mins the glow plug light had gone off only to be replaced by a continous emissions light staying on.
I had heard that what you suggested was a common issue but I'm surprised this has happened given the low mileage it has done.
Would you recommmend that I change both swirl flap arms?
I will also get another glow plug to replace number 4.

Since clearing the fault codes yesterday the emissions light has come back on again today but I'm having problems running my vagcom on my laptop to see what has activated it again.

Dave

If you are going to replace the arms do both they aren't that expensive so if it would be daft not too. With such a low mileage I am surprised they have come up with a fault though. You really need to get your VAG COM working to find out what the issue is. Where abouts are you as there are plenty of people on here with VCDS. There is a map somewhere with peoples locations on.