1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

2005 A6 C6 - Engine hoist hook bolts?

Sommerfeldt Apr 11, 2020

1. Sommerfeldt

Sommerfeldt Registered User

So, this is kind of a noob question, probably, but my A6 had an engine swap in February last year, after the previous owner somehow managed to blow up an N/A V6. Still a mystery to me how that might happen...

Anyway, the engine hoist hooks/eyelet thingies are still on the engine, and I have to replace the cam position sensors, since they're leaking oil. Thing is, I can't get to the upper passenger side sensor's bolt because of the hoist hook. It's on there with 2 big-a$$ bolts with some kind of star pattern heads. I haven't seen those before.

Question is, what are thoooooose, and also, can I just pull them off there once I find the right tool/bit that fits, or do those holes need plugging?

Thanks!

- S

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Sommerfeldt

220+ views and no one knows anything. Okay.

4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Very few people on the forum will have removed an engine. I have, and I'm not sure what bolts you are talking about. Put a picture up it would help a lot

5. Sommerfeldt

Hey!

Thanks for replying. Here are a couple of pictures. First is the engine hoist "eyelet", which is fastened to the engine below the throttle body. Then the bolts. It's fidgety to get a picture of the bolts, but I think I managed. Never seen these before, so I don't know what kind of tool to look for. Tried searching for everything related to engine removal and hoists and whatnot, without luck. :(

*correction from first post - VVT control solenoid valves, not the cam position sensors.

IMG-5366.jpg
    IMG-5367.jpg

- S

6. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

7. Sommerfeldt

Yikes... so an M10 "triple square" will probably work...? I'm going to have a bear of a time tracking down something like that around here without paying with body parts. Probably about and arm, and a leg.

Thanks for the help and a starting point for my search! :)

- S