claytox

Reaction score
Okay. Sorry if these are already answered but I can't find the answers anywhere.

I'm looking into doing a few things short term,
- Bigger/Better brakes
- Coilovers
- Rims
- Exhaust

And long term, of course is always turbo.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for these? I can't find much to do with the A3's.. Would S3's brakes be a worthwhile mod that's simple? Does anyone even make coilovers for the A3? Which is best? What rim offsets fit? Does anyone make a bolt on exhaust, or is going to have to be a custom job?
Finally, is the option there to turbo the APG motor? What would be required? Would it make more sense/be possible to put in another motor instead?

Thankyou

Finally, is the option there to turbo the APG motor?
Not really... valves and pistons aren't suitable realistically... you would need 1.8t items.... not sure on crank... might not be forged...

What would be required?
An engine from a 1.8t plus ancillaries, wiring loom, ECU, pipework etc...

Would it make more sense/be possible to put in another motor instead?
It would make more sense to sell the car and buy a 1.8t... VAG have already done the conversion properly...

Biggest problem with this type of conversion is that they are never done right and makes it impossible to fault find as I am pretty sure you would be asking questions on here about it...

Nobody does conversions like this as nobody needs to I'm afraid... that said VAG are lazy and most parts are fairly standard across the cars... if you had a donor car to take the parts from then that would be the better way to attempt this as you will have all the parts you need and be able to see what you need and where is goes... people who have attempted this in the past inevitably miss key parts, try to bodge it and fail miserably...

<tuffty/>

All good, I think that will be the go than. I'll cross the turbo plan out of my ideas, but I can't drive a turbo car for another couple years so I'll stick to the other mods to get me by.

Insurance companies don't like engine conversions either... You will find it cheaper to insure a 1.8t than a car you transplanted a 1.8t into...

My insurance was £200 a year more than it should have been as my insurance mistook rebuilt engine for swapped engine until I questioned it...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: claytox