'53 Plate A3 doorcards and trim

Flip10304

Reaction score
Morning all, I purchased my first 53 plate A3 yesterday and wanted to say hello.

The car is in mint condition but the thing that i find offensive is the wooden trim on the interior and the offside drivers door card has a small gash in it. It is a 3 door and wondering what I can do about it? As I'm new to the world of audi's any information off you guys would be massively appreciated, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

James.

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. You could always carbon wrap the wooden trim. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Here is mine wrapped. It's not overly difficult to do. Just be patient. Use a heat gun on low heat to stretch the vinyl around the angles and corners, also to set the glue.

20130428_193427_zps2c248f67.jpg

20130512_122221_zps1b2169e8.jpg

20130512_122318_zps5996d91f.jpg

Ahh sh*t. I posted my RS knob.. *waits for the police*

A3. Actually cost less than the s-tronic knob and had the punched leather and silver stitched boot i was after.
The ebay seller only has LHD though so had to swap over the plastic piece on the boot with my existing one.

Sorry to hijack the OPs thread.. here is the info you need. Will just quote the info I posted in another thread to save time.

Part: Audi A3 S3 RS3 DSG leather gearstick gearknob black silver 8P1713139AA gear knob | eBay

Decided to switch out my original grandpa shifter for the 'S-Tronic' knob from the 2009-2013 model. This has been covered on forums in the UK and US a fair bit - the main issue being the orientation of the shift rod being different between the earlier and later models; the shifter button being on the front on the later models. I wont do a complete DIY as this can be found elsewhere, but have posted a few pics below of the process. If you stuff this up, the complete shifting mechanism needs to be pulled out and replaced, which is a $1000 part and will involve around 5 hours labour.

I used the 'grub screw method' with a replacement piece for the top of the shift rod I got off a guy in the US - pre tapped. This involves sawing off the top of the shift rod and drilling down 5mm into the centre of the rod, using a 2mm tapper and then joining the 2 pieces with an M2 grub screw. Couldnt find a 10mm grub screw locally so had to grind the head off a normal M2x10mm screw.
Picked up an RS3 knob from Ebay UK for a good price. It isnt branded 'RS3' so I dont have a problem with using it in my A3. This came in cheaper than the 'S-Tronic' branded knob and has punched leather and a silver stitched leather boot. However it is for LHD, so had to swap over the base on the leather boot, glue and tack it on.

When I was about to put the new knob on, I pushed in the button on it accidentally. This meant it wouldn't install and I had to pull the whole knob apart and 'reset' the button.
All done now. Very happy with the look. Up there with the best mods I have done on the car to date.

knob_zps752342ec.jpg

shiftrod_zps85b584cb.jpg

20130512_122221_zps1b2169e8.jpg