Poly bush questions

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys just a couple of questions regarding poly bushes, first one is can you get poly ball joints? As mine seem to keep going funny, secondly what does the steering Rack bush do? Is it worth changing to the poly bush?

thanks simon

A bush is a bush and a ball joint is a ball joint... two very different things so no... :)

Personally I don't think it is worth the agro of changing unless you have removed the subframe for a n other reason and just feel the need... the rack is positively located into the subframe anyway on the opposite side as there is only one bush...

<tuffty/>

The steering rack polybush will sharpen up the steering "feel" a touch. I doubt you will feel a big difference though by doing just the rack bush on it's own.

Never heard of poly ball joints. Describe "funny". I see you are running coilovers, is the car very low?

Tuffty I may change the steering rack bush as it may need a new rack anyways, which I will find out next week.

Lewis, I had h&r lowering springs before coilover which I be leave where around a 40mm drop no driveshaft rub anyways, I changed a lot of parts on the front a put delphi ball joints and track rod ends on about 4-5 weeks ago since then I replaced the ball joints as they had excessive play, but now I get a loose feeling when driving like the car is swaying from side to side slightly, I was going to replace the ball joints again but was wondering if there was a better make than the delphi ones I put on. I have poly bushed wishbones by the

Have you checked the bushes in the arms? poly bush those... ball joints are solid joints with no give... if they have play in them they will knock...

Vagueness can be attributed to worm bushes in the arms... the A3's come with voided bushes in the rear of the arm and these fall apart... you can replace them with the TT non voided versions...

<tuffty/>

My arms are now poly bushes on the front and the rear, if I go lock to lock I get a knock from time to time, may jack the car up later if it drys and see if there is play in the wheel

Iv done the steering rack bush not driven it yet but will report back when i have.

chris

A bush is a bush and a ball joint is a ball joint... two very different things so no... :)

Personally I don't think it is worth the agro of changing unless you have removed the subframe for a n other reason and just feel the need... the rack is positively located into the subframe anyway on the opposite side as there is only one bush...

<tuffty/>

It's weird how the MK4 has the bush. The MK5 & 6 run a solid mount as I've fitted. No increased NVH but better steering feel since fitting that and other parts. Can't attribute it directly to that as I fitted a fair few other bits at the same time. In fact the car feels better afterwards.

Tyrolsport offer the solid mount:

tsmk4rb.jpg

Seems really strange to hard mount one end of the rack and bush the other, it's like the subframe being half solid mounted. I guess it's to give it that "plush" Audi feeling of no connection.