Help!!! Number plate glued on?!

OVRA3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to remove my plates to put on my personalised plates, which should of course be a doddle. However my rear plate looks like its been stuck on with glue? No more nails of something similar.. Any ideas how to get it off without ruining the paint?

Thanks

I'm on it! Will turps be ok to use to get the residue off?

I used a bit of white spirit along with some elbow grease to debadge mine, it was fine.

I agree with the hair dryer, have tried and does work pretty well. Does take time though

A tip for getting the residue off - Pledge furniture polish. I kid you not. Simply spray it on in an even layer, leave it for 10 minutes to work it's magic then remove with very little effort. It somehow breaks down glues and turns them into a watery jelly. So much easier than terps/thinners/white spirit, all of which leave an oily residue that can hamper the adhesion on your replacement plate...

and if all that fails, you can do what i've done on a previous occasion - simply stick the new number plate on top of the old one! being sure to get it exactly right... haha..!

Love that, thought did cross my mind.. I haven't started sorting it out yet but I think it's going to take patience not one of my strong points! Lol thanks guys will give all the above ago and ill even take pics! :p