Jacking points

Great work @glospete.

I ordered from the same guy several months ago but those were more like the 8P ones. Never got around to trying them out as they were bought in advance of need.

Have ordered the updated one - thanks for your work on this and posting to the forum.

John.

Reactions: glospete
Just for completeness - this is from the workshop manual:

ZQtWreM.jpg

And this thread is part of the Jack Jacking FAQ
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2309874

Under the subframe mounts at the front, and the chassis rails at the rear would be good places.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Anyone have a picture of the jacking point for the front of the car? I'm trying to avoid jacking on the seams because I won't be able to fit my jack stands in there.

Post #82 is where you should jack.

Stands should be placed elsewhere.

Just for completeness - this is from the workshop manual:

ZQtWreM.jpg

That blue section looks to be in front of the reinforced section used by the scissor jack, rather than it being the reinforced section, unless I've missed something. Is there any text to go with that picture to explain it?

That looks like it might be the four point lift section, which is forward of the reinforced seem and further in towards the centre of the car.

Sorry to resurrect a 5 year old post, but as my A3 has just come out of warranty I have decided to maintain my car, so was looking around on how to raise the vehicle safely.

I have ordered this attachment
DEDC Advanced Grooved UNIVERSAL Magnetic Jack Pad Pinch Weld Frame Rail Adapter (Orange), so I can use a trolley jack on the dedicated jacking point on the seam.

Attachment

And with regards to a suitable point to place an axle stand, I imagine where the suspension connects to the subframe would be a good place.

Reduced

Haven't tried lifting the car using the above yet as the DEC attachment has been delivered yet. Although, I do note that the subframe point is one third of the width of the car from the jacking point, so won't lift to the same height as the jack, which means getting a axle stand in there means jacking quite high.

We seemingly still have no straight forward way of jacking the 8v up and putting it onto axle stands.

I tried jacking up on the correct jacking points with my 2 x 3t trolley Jack's but found that for example, the rectangular rubber blocks attached to the chassis at the rear were too close to the jacking points and trolley jacks to get axle stands anywhere near them. I ended up putting the stands below the rear suspension arms. Not ideal.

What we need is either easily accessible axle stand points when the car is lifted on the standard jacking points by a trolley jack or an alternative place to lift with the trolley jacks enabling axle stands to be used with the standard jacking points.

Is there a decent photo of the underneath of the 8v showing the jacking and decent axle stand points?

Reactions: audiwaterpump
We seemingly still have no straight forward way of jacking the 8v up and putting it onto axle stands.

I tried jacking up on the correct jacking points with my 2 x 3t trolley Jack's but found that for example, the rectangular rubber blocks attached to the chassis at the rear were too close to the jacking points and trolley jacks to get axle stands anywhere near them. I ended up putting the stands below the rear suspension arms. Not ideal.

What we need is either easily accessible axle stand points when the car is lifted on the standard jacking points by a trolley jack or an alternative place to lift with the trolley jacks enabling axle stands to be used with the standard jacking points.

Is there a decent photo of the underneath of the 8v showing the jacking and decent axle stand points?
They don't want you to diy your own car, but to visit the main dealer instead. Hence, they make it as difficult as possible to jack up and support properly.

The rear axle stands are on the OE rubber pads just in from the rear sill area, not sure if all A3/S3 have them but my S3 Sportback does and they come in very handy as not to cause any underseal damage when using stands. The picture below is the righthand side, UK drivers side.

20220430_205750Small.jpg

I've never had any issues jacking or using axle stands with my S3 8V, no idea what all the fuss is about.
View attachment 253609
I also am grateful for this picture as I was not confident in putting stands under the subframe.

Do you lift one side at a time? Or simultaneously with two jacks (a couple are shown in your picture).

For example, here I am lifting one side of an A3 8V; might the torque damage the frame?

Audi lift

And for the back, do you lift under the rear drive/diff?

Looking at it again, I might not have to lift the rear. Two stands, front and rear, might find under each lifted side at once.

Last edited:
Either or but really depends what you're doing on the car. If I'm working under the front I use two Jack's then two axle stands as its much easier to balance the lifting. Once the front is lifted if I need to get the rear up I very carefully jack under the diff then pop two axle stands either side. Never had any issues or concerns with my method. I've been working on my own cars for years so whatever feels right for you, it's not rocket science so don't over think it.

Either or but really depends what you're doing on the car. If I'm working under the front I use two Jack's then two axle stands as its much easier to balance the lifting. Once the front is lifted if I need to get the rear up I very carefully jack under the diff then pop two axle stands either side. Never had any issues or concerns with my method. I've been working on my own cars for years so whatever feels right for you, it's not rocket science so don't over think it.
This is helpful. Thank you.

And in your opinion (no strings attached), do you think jacking up a car from a corner as shown above (or a bit more) is bad for the unibody? Too much stress on the welds or alignment? My physical intuition is lacking.

Last edited: