Newbie to the forum and my current s3 has real bad fuel consumption problems

gazza4669

Reaction score
Hello all

Car is a 2001 S3

Looking for a bit of advice or if someone has come across a problem with awful fuel consumption before.

Have looked on other threads regarding poor MPG but could not find a definitive answer.

Since owning the car i have carried out the following works:

New genuine thermostat, new coolant temp sender, plugs, filter and oil service, lambdas, new Bosch maf, fuel filter and replaced all split hoses in the breather system under the inlet.

The car reaches temp and does not stray so no issues there.

I do not drive the car hard either, any information would be appreciated.

Just to add have had the car logged and it throws no fault codes???

Thanks Gary

What we talking awful, s3's are far from eco friendly, mine struggles to break 300 miles a tank mate!!

I know they are not great but the MPG has got worse over the last couple of fill ups this week put £40 in on Monday which was 28 litres and by 102 miles the reserve light came on i make that less than 20 a gallon not good at all!!! Prior to this happening was seeing on average 26 - 27 which i can live with.

I average around 25-30mpg around town and 35+ on longer journeys with no problem. Have you checked for fault codes? A mis fire or dogey EGT sensor will cause worse fuel economy due to the car dumping in fuel to cool. I've been there with those problems.

Have you checked the fuel filter for leaks? Could be that you've damaged the pipes and when running under pressure your losing fuel.

At present i am achieving under 20 mpg as stated above the mpg used to be around 26 - 27 :)

I have not carried out any checks on Fuel filter side of things since replacing it, will take a look this weekend check for leaks etc.

There are no mis fires car runs as smooth as it always has apart from the fuel dropping dramatically. Will take a look at the EGT sensor too, thanks for the advice so far guys.

Serviced less than 1000 miles ago by myself i like to keep bang on top with things such as these :)