De cat on an AWX TDi

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Have any of you guys knocked the cat out of the exhaust system on a 1.9 TDi, just wondering what the gains would be like, as its not needed for the MOT etc.
I've done it on turbo charged petrol engines before will good results, engine felt more happier and more willing to rev...

Keep considering it on my doozals..

Ive got a full turbo back stainless on my car mate with no boxes at all and to be honest not really much of a diiference just sounds pretty good with the turbo whistleing it might pick up a little quicker maybe lol.

The decats are ony about 70pounds to buy and wouldnt be too difficult to fit, as long as your egre and inlet are clean you shouldnt experience any mot issues, ie smoke etc.

Not got round to decatting my V6 yet, need to blag a lift. Been told it helps the turbo spool up a bit quicker. Will post the results when done.

Not got round to decatting my V6 yet, need to blag a lift. Been told it helps the turbo spool up a bit quicker. Will post the results when done.
On a v6 tdi with such a big laggier turbo, decating does make a difference and will drop the rpm threshold at which the turbo comes on boost by a couple of hundreds rpm's. On a 1.9 tdi on standard hardware i would not bother too much, the standard gt1749VA is rather nippy and will spool pretty soon, knocking the cat out will overspool the turbo and will let it surge especially if your's is remapped. I would also stress that overspeeding the turbo can result in a snapped shaft and posibly engine runaway. Also the low down torque will result in clutch slip especially on a high miler engine !

If the turbo kicks in earlier by 2 hundred rpm that would be a nice improvement....cheers Chris. I't's on the to do list but as soon as I get the exhaust decatted I will post the results of my V6.