aftermarket HU fitting, why is it so difficult!? help!

ToonRing-G

Audi Virgin
Reaction score
Website
www.toon-ring.co.uk
hi folks, currently trying to fit a alpine CDE-W235BT to my 52 plate S3, and its driving me completely insane.

now, obviously i have the full bose system in the car, and its a "symphony" head unit, and this is my main issue here.

the HU i have, has 1 preout for RCA's so....

if i use autoleads pc9-410 PC9 410 then i only have the ability to plug in one of the two sets of rca's, also.. when i change track etc i get a POP from whatever speakers are connected.

if i use pc9-401 PC9 401 then when connected the speakers crackle instead of working correctly, as this is for non-bose systems.

there is also the pc9-408 PC9 408 which has a couple of rca's and a little black box, which i would assume, also requires a HU with 2 rca outputs?

current state of play is.. ****ed if i know how to get this stereo fitted. HELP!

I went through the same issue. Gave up and am now doing a Double-DIN conversion.

brilliant, cheers :) i just ordered a connects2 version of the pc9-408 which apparently stops the popping sound, and ordered a A4 double din fascia, as apparently there isnt one for the 8L? either way that should sort it.

been meaning to look through your car thread btw, mine is silver aswell, and yours looks rather good!

If i were you, with one pre out only id be looking to run an amp. Amps fit under the rear doorcards, ANDYMAC has some awesome guides for fitting amps and speakers and a sub.

Id be inclined to run either all speakers on an amp, so a 4+ channel maybe using Y leads to connect to front and rears, Or use the HU amp for the fronts or rears and the amp for the other.

I fitted a cheapo ripspeed dvd head unit, using no preouts at the mo, but i have cut off and soldered a new iso plug to the car loom.

Would be a headache to fit another oem headunit, but thats never gonna happen tbh.

i'll have a look tuffty, cheers.

plan is, that what i winn be running will be all door speakers off the standard bose amp, disconnecting the sub box, and i'll run my one RCA to my amp & seperate 12" sub enclosure to provide bass. same as i would in any other car.

but the more i go into it the more of a ballache it seems to be, my sticking point is now.. the ignition live. obviously the standard stereo has a swiched live feed, so that it powers up at the first turn of the key and before the ignition is on, so i must be able to tap into that somewhere, im not messing around with running a new wire or getting some kinda canbus thing.

is everything on an audi this complicated? if it is, this car will be going and i'll just go back to ford!

I found a switched live on one of the plugs behind the radio area and just soldered a tap onto it

i'll have a nosey around and hopefully find one aswell, hoping for something similar, i dont want to have to either have it permanently live, nor do i want to have the ignition fully on either!