Gearbox Woes :(

Powelly

Reaction score
Good morning all, Havent posted on here for a while as i've brought a new car whilst my A3's been sat waiting to be re-registered, Still been noseying around though!
Problem is When i try to engage gears its extremely stiff, Mainly taking two hands to get the stick in, Now the Flywheel is standard as far as i know and its been rattling for a long time but im failing to see how that could affect gear engagement.
Hopefully somebody who knows more than me could shed some light on this so i can get her back on the road :( Going to pull it all apart soon to have a better look-see!

Cheers in Advance!

Get the clutch pedal bled, could be air in the system not engaging the clutch properly. Also worth getting gear of oil changed

Righto! did wonder if the oil could be the case as i did have a small leak before it happened so it may be low, Cheers :)

Start with those as a) probably needs it and b) it could be a cheap fix. If you eliminate those first then it really can only be the clutch or possibly gearbox so then you'll need to look at that. But as you haven't mentioned the clutch is slipping I'd be surprised if your clutch is worn, the knocking could be the dm flywheel.

Yeah im hoping for a cheaper fix than possibly a new clutch and or flywheel, I cant remember if it was slipping when it came on boost or not, But could air in the system affect the engagement of the clutch as well as disengagement?

Yeah im hoping for a cheaper fix than possibly a new clutch and or flywheel, I cant remember if it was slipping when it came on boost or not, But could air in the system affect the engagement of the clutch as well as disengagement?
no just engagement,

Righto, Cheers for all your help, As soon as i get a chance i'll get it out and have a tinker and try bleeding it etc, Cheers mate!

When the dual mass flywheel starts to die/break up it can cause the inner part of the flywheel that the clutch friction plate contacts to drag on the clucth friction plate it's self therefore giving you a hard gear change as the clutch does'ent disengage fully?