brake pad thickness

HuntsA4

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the minimum thickness of brake pads should be on an A4? easy to view with the 5 arm wheel.

They will go down to roughly 3-4mm but if you have a B6 model a light will come on to let you know they need replacing, I even drove mine for a further 3000 miles after the light came on and there was still some pad left.

The minimum thickness is 0mm but it's not recommended!!!

My light came on and within 30 mins I was metal on metal....at Snetterton.

Mine are being replaced tomorrow at AMD for EBC pads. The originals have lasted 34000 miles and are at around 3 to 4mm.

Was going for EBC discs but apparently none for the rear.

If you managed to make your OEM pads last 34k miles then do you really need after market pads and disks?

When I had my car serviced at 48000miles they said I'd probably need new pads on the front before my next service. I'm on 53000miles now and still no warning light - original pads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

scoTTy

A friend of mine had OEM pads on his TT for good miles but then had EBC from AMD and said they performed better, lasted longer and gave off significantly less dust onto the alloys. And they are cheaper!

Pads I can understand due to the cost and less dust but disks?

I only considered the disks because AMD suggested checking them. I would have gone for EBC rather than OEM. As it happens I'm at AMD at the moment and the disks are fine so just pads.

Don't know if you guys have been to AMD recently bu they have expanded into another unit with big reception, massage reclining chairs and Monaco GP and Turbo Outrun arcade machines. A couple of old classics!

Worth checking. I just couldn't see why you'd want to spend a load of cash on after market brake disks when it would appear that you're fairly light on the brakes.

AMD reception is much better since the old one..not least the WiFi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thr only strange thing about these pads is the wedge shape. The pad doesn't sit flat to the disk. And the front pads are a lot thicker.

And as for the colour....!

As long as they work. I have been very light on the pedal on the way home but have heard some brake squealing. Hope that is normal to start with.

And finally i only managed 3rd on Monaco GP. But took me back a few years.