Wanna see my black nuts???

• Thread starter imported_tobycruse
  • Start date
I

imported_tobycruse

Has anyone used some really strong wheel cleaner on there alloys before and noticed that the plastice wheel nut covers go a funny white colour?? Well, it happened to me and so something had to be done, i was going to buy some new ones off e-bay (for £20!!) but then i had a cunning plan!

I took the covers off and spray painted them black, the result is really nice!! Now it sort of matches the wheels... A different but nice look!!

If someone can help me out i could post some pics up here!! Any ideas???

A valeting company did this to my Santas on my last GTI - the valves also went white and I made them fully aware that I wasn't impressed one bit. Had to go and buy new ones and the valves eventually faded a bit.

Whatever it was (my guess is traffic film remover which is nasty, nasty stuff), it shouldn't be used on wheels.

Its generally best to stay a way from wheel cleaners, they are very strong alkalis and will eventually reduce that nice shine on your wheels, they'll also go a long way to stripping the plating of your calipers too. If youre going to use it dilute it 50% with water.
But clean your wheels every week with car shampoo and you wont need this stuff.
By the way dont use it on a tarmac drive.....

You can use Autoglym motorcycle cleaner its just a strong detergent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

During a moment of supreme Chavness I ordered one of these hand held steam cleaners off of one of the tele shopping channels......

I'll report back if it does much to my wheels.(good or bad)

[ QUOTE ]
Its generally best to stay a way from wheel cleaners, they are very strong alkalis and will eventually reduce that nice shine on your wheels, they'll also go a long way to stripping the plating of your calipers too. If youre going to use it dilute it 50% with water.
But clean your wheels every week with car shampoo and you wont need this stuff.
By the way dont use it on a tarmac drive.....

You can use Autoglym motorcycle cleaner its just a strong detergent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used wonderwheels for years,but only when the wheels get really really dirty (winter mostly).
I've never noticed any dulling of the wheels,and certainly can't report any driveway stains (never had anything but a tarmac drive either).

It will take the surface off slightly, and it doesnt stain your drive it slowly but surely removes the oils and tars from your bitumen so that at some point in the future you will start to see four areas starting to get loose then holes will start to appear.......... I know some one who it happened to.... I think there may be something on the bottle about tarmac drives....... I'll have a look at mine.