New to this TDI malarkey...

Arch_SQ5

Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]Hi Chaps,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I'm new to all of it really, Audi, Diesel, in fact new to Turbos in general so I’ve been lurking around for a couple of weeks to learn a bit about my new [to me] Audi A3 TDI 140.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It’s a 2006 model with 118k on the clock – I know this is high but its immaculate and drives really nice…so far![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My friend who happens to work at Audi looked at it and said it was a good buy [I got it for a song cause it needed a good scrub and a service], all the paper work stacks up – almost full dealer service history, but the last owner had it serviced once at a local garage

The previous owner had also only covered about 6500 miles in 18 months and the service light says its 3300miles overdue a service. [assume this is due to how she drove it][/FONT]
?

[FONT=&amp]Its going for a full service this weekend which should put it back on track.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]What I would like to know is if anyone has any thoughts on the following:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1. There is an annoying squeak at the rear when I go over speed bumps – worn bushes? Oddly it doesn’t do it when it’s been raining so I assume the rain is lubricating something?[/FONT] - handles well and compared to the Mrs' 1.2 Fabia it corners like a dream.

[FONT=&amp]2. The DIS confuses me as the total MPG is always on 200mpg or ‘- - -‘ despite me resetting it, and I’m sure the normal MPG doesn’t tally with the miles of fuel left reading [i.e. I put some fuel in and it says 100miles left, I drive at 45-55mpg for 20 miles and it says 30miles left] – is there a way I can check this / get it calibrated without too much cost?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The final question is the turbo – Audi have no record of it being changed so I assume it’s the original unit given its previous Audi dealer history – however below 1500rpm I can hear the famous ‘siren’ - it’s not loud, it’s not intermittent with the temperature of the car, and it’s not audible if the radio is on etc. I don’t expect an answer to this as there seems to be no actual answer to it but I’ll feel better for writing it down! – I’m hoping its just because it’s overdue an oil change but I think that’s wishful thinking.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]J[/FONT]

Welcome to audi-sport.net Joseph. Any pics of the car? The guys will be able to advise you on the other issues. Have a read at the faqs threads at the top, if you havent already done so, there is lots of useful information in there. Where are you located? Enjoy the forum. :) x

[FONT=&quot]No pictures as yet – Its very tidy for what I paid for it, it does have a little [smaller than a 5p] ding in the rear door but I think I can live with that until the winters over at least – then I might give a ‘paintless dent removal’ a go.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve had a good search through the site – just couldn’t find a definitive answer to my queries so thought I’d say Hi.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No pictures as yet – Its very tidy for what I paid for it, it does have a little [smaller than a 5p] ding in the rear door but I think I can live with that until the winters over at least – then I might give a ‘paintless dent removal’ a go.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I’ve had a good search through the site – just couldn’t find a definitive answer to my queries so thought I’d say Hi.[/FONT]

The guys will be along later and im sure they will give you lots of useful advise and help. :) x

What I would do is to make sure that the garage does a full VCDS scan to show up any recorded faults. This may possibly show up what is making the DIS show strange readings. They should also take a look at the rear bushes and advise if they need replacing. The siren is well known, and probably indicates that the turbo is worn out. Again, the garage should listen to this and advise. Good luck.

The reason it will be saying it needs a service is probably due to the time rather than the mileage.

I had the squeak at the rear of mine, turned out to be a broken spring.

Good excuse for me to get the eibachs :)

Try pushing the button on the end of the wiper stalk to cycle through the DIS. Its currently showing your instant mpg

when I scroll through I get:

current mpg
time
average speed [which never indicates above 14mph even if i drive at 70 for an hour and a half]
fuel mileage left
total mpg

both comp 1 and 2 actually show the same results for the fuel mileage and total mpg, where as the other readings vary accordingly...

...I have a long trip to make this coming weekend so I'll fill it up and monitor it - hopefully it will straighten its self out once its had a good run [wishful thinking!].