Having a problem fitting an alpine stereo :(

GlennP83

Reaction score
Im having a problem fitting my alpine stereo,the speakers make a boom when I skip a song and the settings dont save for sub or base levels. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks for looking

Welcome to ASN :)

The settings not saving is the result of two wires at the back being the wrong way round.

Not sure if the colours on yours will be the same but on mine I had: -

Red -> Red
Yellow -> Yellow

When in fact it should have been

Red -> Yellow
Yellow -> Red.

There is a guide on uk-mkivs by Chris (Imagewerx) which explains it better.

Cheers Yohan ill give that a go now,still cant get my head around why the speakers are making the boom noise,its driving me crazy!

Can you describe the "boom" noise or even better record it for us?

Its like the speakers are getting a surge of power and making a boom. Ill go and record the noise and post it up

Have you got a Bose system? which adaptor are you using? year and model of car will help... options vary so a little more info is useful... connecting to a Bose system requires an adaptor lead... non Bose systems are differnt again and there is a 'half' Bose system too IIRC... some have an amp for front and rear speakers (full Bose typically) and others for just the rears and sub...

<tuffty/>

The car is a 99 s3 with the full Bose system with sub in the boot. The lead I'm using is pc9-410

Ok... thats the RCA one isn't it? not used that one myself... I used a PC9-408 (speaker out version) with no problems other than a very slight thump (barely audible) when I turned my stereo on...

As for the settings... I wired mine to be permanent powered rather than using the flaky canbus adaptors... if you have the power the wrong way around then turning off would lose the settings I would imagine...

<tuffty/>

Not sure tbh... should do but never tried it as mines a facelift... actually sounded ok and I used it for ages before removing it altogether and fitting the rest of my stereo gear...

<tuffty/>

The boom doesnt happen when I use the ipod so happy days but still happens when I turn the car off, I can live with it for now. If anyone has any solutions to this problem please let me know thanks

mine flattens the batt so when not using my car i take out the fuse lol any ideas ?

The solution to the "Pop" is Ground Loop Isolators about a tenner each at maplins

The solution to the "Pop" is Ground Loop Isolators about a tenner each at maplins

I used these to get rid of a very quiet whine on my full Bose a4 cab when I fitted a kenwood dnx head unit, using adapters for canbus and Bose harness. They worked perfectly BUT they also totally killed the low end bass.

They plug inline between the RCA leads from the car and head unit harness.

Take you have fixed the memory loss issues. As the other have said change the two power in wires - one is a switch that turns the unit on/off and the other is the constant power (does not turn off when you turn the key off ) feed that supplies power to the memory.

Re popping - As we do not have the access to the variety of adaptors and too far to get an Andy Mac Su, I tried various ways of wiring to eliminate the popping - both from speaker outs & RCA. Found that the popping was isolated to the Bose sub and that if you pull it apart and replace the small internal amp with a separate amp for the Sub it eliminates the popping - Does not sound as good as an ANDY Mac probably does but def better than standard.