2003 B6 1.9TDI QS - Front Brake Clonking & Bringing on Brake Warning Light...Help!?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had the front pads and discs swapped over on my 2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDi Quattro Sport (130) in the Spring and all has been fine for a few months, but lately sometimes when I brake there is a loud metallic clonk from the front of the car and it often brings the yellow circular brake warning symbol on the dash.

The car seems to brake okay and doesn't seem to pull to one side when this happens. However, once the brake warning light is on the dash the brakes don't seem to be as effective when slowing from higher speeds.

I've taken it back to the garage and they suggested that maybe the pads were sticking a little in the calipers when I applied the brakes and so they took them apart and re-greased them all up and re-fitted them. Anyway, within a few days the problem is back just the same as before.

The rear pads were replaced at the end of last year and have done maybe 8000 miles.

The brake fluid is maybe a year old too and is topped up to the correct levels.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem is and wonder if anyone on here has experienced something similar?

Can anyone help?

J

Sorry to sound dumb mate, but where would I look for those?

If they weren't in place, would it have the same effect as I describe?

J

Check for any missing teeth of a damaged ring. When you break any missing teeth make it think it's locked.

To be honest, I don't think its ABS ring related at all.

I've had a car which had corroded/broken teeth on the ABS ring before and that lead to the ABS triggering rather erractically under firm braking. The ABS on the Audi hasn't triggered at all while this has happened, which could suggest that the sensors aren't working at all.

I seem to recall that when I sourced the brake pads and had them fitted that the garage said they were a very snug fit inside the calipers and it does seem to feel like they aren't moving freely in there and sometimes get a little stuck and then snap shut on the brake disc and thus make the clanging noise. However, with this said I'm sure the brake feel would be rather sudden as and when this happened, which it isn't.

Its all rather confusing to be honest.

J